Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Crocheting & Other Needlework

Does anyone else combine their crocheting with other forms of needlework? A few years back I knitted two squares which I then made into a pillow by joining them together with a crochet edge. Has anyone else done something like this?

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never have I mixed needle work techniques but what a great idea...I thought of it to be honest but was never brave enough to try it and later on, I forgot the idea entirely. How long does it take you to knit a square the size of the pillow you made...I would not know the exact size but I would get a rough indication of how long it takes for an experienced knitter I really would love to know knitting...did you find it difficult to learn?
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it actually took me a few weeks, as I am not a very experienced knitter and am somewhat slow. I really enjoy knitting, but I tend to gravitate towards crocheting just because I learned it first and it seems easier to me and gives me more flexibility. One of these days, I would like to just put my mind to it and really learn knitting well.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only other needlework that I've done is counted cross-stitch. I always have good intentions of finishing a pattern, but never have. It's just not as relaxing and fun as crochet. You can pretty much zone out with crochet, but cross-stitching, especially counted, takes a lot of time, effort and thought.

5. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't, but would like too. I have a number of patterns saved that combine knitting and crocheting, but the crochet often seems to complicated for me. Also, I'm not sure if this qualifies as needlework, but I've also done some rug hooking.

Post Thanks / Like
    I knitted a cable knit afghan once that had crocheted granny squares holding the different strips of the afghan together. It took a looong time to do but I was kind of proud of it when I finally finished it. I had not known how to do crochet before this and after I learned crocheting I hardly ever knit again because knitting is much slower than crochet.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Drice, I also do some cross-stitching every once in a while but never tried to mix it with crochet. To be honest, I only do small projects in cross-stitch cause I find it hard to focus on. Last thing I made is a ladybird design on a small square to fix onto a birthday card for my great aunt.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    I have cross-stitched over an afghan made using the afghan stitch because the finished afghan creates little squares that are similar to a cross-stitch fabric's look. I have crocheted panels of knitted afghans together and the front and back of a knitted sweater but other than that , no, I haven't mixed the needle crafts. It is an interesting idea though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have only cross stiched as well. Maybe in the near future, I can learn additional skills!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! I also know how to knit and I've done combinations of both crocheting and knitting (or vice-versa) for my projects. Like the last time I did a knitted cellphone pouch, I didn't have double-pointed needles so I had to crochet the seams on the sides and at the bottom part of my pouch. It really doesn't matter for me as long as I get to create something that is beautiful and practical at the same time. I've become more of a crocheter than a knitter though because I find it tiring for my left arm when I use both hands in knitting. Anyway, I can still create equally pretty projects although I still try to fit in some knitting projects from time to time just so I can still practice.