Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Crochet Hooks?

Most of my hooks are a brand called Yarnology. They are aluminum with a bamboo handle and a tapered head. I have a couple of Bates hooks and a couple of Boye hooks, but they are in sizes that I rarely use so I have not tried them often. What hooks do you like and do you prefer metal, plastic, wood... How do you hold your hook, because I guess that may have an effect on your hook preference. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer the metal hooks, probably because that's what I learned on all those years ago
    I also have some old, bone hooks that I don't use, but love to collect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have only tried the metal hooks and they are also what I learned with. I may have to venture out sometime!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the standard metal Boye and Bates hooks. I prefer the ones that come to a little bit more of a point at the tip. It makes the work flow a little quicker, to me anyways. I have one or two plastic ones but they don't feel right to me. As for how I hold it, I never gave that much thought. It's in my right hand, held between my thumb and middle finger with my pointer on top to apply direction and pressure. Does that make sense?

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have always used metal hooks of all sizes but I prefer larger hooks to small ones and I prefer to use wool rather than thread. I guess I hold my hook a bit like I hold my spoon? I will have to check next time I do it, lol.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the metal Boye hooks also. I learned on them and I like the flattened area. I have tried some of the other hooks and just can't get the hang of them. I was given a very nice wooden hook as a Christmas gift one year, but it is in a much smaller size then I use. I hold the hook in what I have heard called the pencil grip. I have also tried grips that I have seen others use but can't get the hang of them either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no preference to Bates or Boye hooks. They both work fine for me. I hold my hook like a knife as that's how I was taught. Have tried to hold it like a pencil but it is awkward to me. I don't like plastic hooks. Have not tried wooden or bamboo.

8. Likes taral liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the metal hooks by Boye - they adjust to my hand really well and my projects come out really nice

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Hello, my name is Carmella - I have been crocheting since the age of 12 - however, I stopped and started again about a year ago - it's amazing that I never lost the technique. I have been learning new stitches and reading patterns, which I find exciting because I didn't know how to really do either that well.

I will look to you all to help me if I need assistance - Because I know I will.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello sky and all, I guess I like the Boye hooks best, I sure have a lot of them. I have a set of Bernat hook by Aero that are very comfortable to work with, too. I also have a set of bamboo afghan crochet hooks that are nice and smooth and easy to use. I WANT some of those that have lights on them! I forget the brand, but they look so cool!
    Key

12. Likes carmielove liked this post