Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

How do you store/organize your yarn?

I have only been crocheting for a few months, but I am getting a rather large stash of yarn built up. I have it all in a tote at the moment, but it is all mixed up and tangled and just a mess. What are some good ways to organize my yarn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Some of our members use different methods. If you have a large amount of yarn, you may want to organize it by colors, weights, brands, so on. I like to use the little plastic drawers that are on wheels for the larger part of my craft supplies. They are see through and come in different sizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    skynclls

I like to use the big gallon size zip lock bags to keep my yarns/projects separated when they are in a tote. Otherwise I have different baskets that I keep yarn in that I use as much for decoration as I do for storage.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I organise my yarn by colour (a bad for each colour) and I store them in cardboard boxes that I covered in magazine pages.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello skynclls.......holy moly! I ran into that problem right off the bat! It can turn into a real tangle, how well I know. I use the plastic file cabinets with wheels, too. I also use 2-1/2 gallon ziplock bags. Of course, then I had to have shelves installed to hold the bags! If I could just stay AWAY from JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby, I'd be OK! haha! I have a friend who uses one of her double closets. She puts yarn in a ziplock, then uses clothes pins to attach the bags to wire hangers. First she removed the closet doors, then she put five rods in her closet (from the ceiling to the floor!) and each rod holds a LOT of ziplocks. Very colorful. She organizes by Wool, Cotton, acrylic, etc. I'd do that if I had an extra closet, for sure! I tried baskets on the shelves at first, but I couldn't see what was in the baskets, so I switched to the big ziplock bags. They also keep the yarn from gathering dust OR dog hair! You'll be really content when you organize your yarn, then you can spend more time crocheting! WooHoo!
    Key

Post Thanks / Like
    I only wish I had an extra closet that I could turn into a "yarn closet" lol. We will be moving into a larger home in the spring, if not sooner (fingers crossed) and will have some space to get things organized. I have already claimed the den in the basement of this home as MY ROOM! I like to sew, but don't do it often because I have to drag out my machine and set it up at the kitchen table and all of my stuff is packed away so it is just a pain. I am dying to have a place to set up my machine and have sewing supplies organized and at easy reach...and YARN sorted. The plastic drawers sound like a great idea and I do use ziplocks now. I had not thought about the baskets and not being able to see what is inside...good thought. Thanks!

7. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite crochet hooks?

Ok...I don't know how to delete a post.
    Last edited by skynclls; 12-08-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: posted to the wrong place

Post Thanks / Like
    skynclls,

When you hit edit, there should be a delete button under your edit box to the lower right. Let me know if you need additional help. :0)