Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! I'm learning to crochet. Am now addicted to it.

I'm having trouble reading the patterns for an easy woman hat. Mine either turn out flat or do end up turning out a little instead of forming a cap. Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Donnard,

Welcome to the group! It is great to have you onboard!

I personally have not done hats, yet. But I do know that we have a lot of members that do. So, be patient and I am sure there will be help on the way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, I love making hats. My favorite yarn for them is Lion Brand Tweed Stripes, which I can find in my local WalMart. It gives such a nice look to the basic pattern that I use, and each turn out just a little different as the yarn changes color. I will simplify the pattern best I can to fit it here. Hope I don't confuse you.

Ch 4, joint to form a ring
    1- Ch 1, work 6 sc in ring. Sl St at the end of each ring. Ch 1 each round.....6 sts
    2- 2 sc in each st around.......(putting 2 sts in a stitch is an Increase)...........12 sts
    3- Inc. in every other stitch, .................................................. ....................18 sts
    4- Inc in every 3rd stitch............................................ ................................24 sts.
    5- Inc in every 4th stitch............................................ ................................30 sts.
    6- Inc in every 5th stitch............................................ ................................36 sts.
    7- Inc in every 6th stitch............................................ .................................42 sts.
    8- SC evenly around............................................ ........................................42 sts.
    9- SC in next 12 sts, Inc, 1 sc in next 13 sc.......Repeat around.....................58 sts.
    10- Sc evenly around............................................ .......................................58 sts.
    Repeat round 10 until you reach the desired length to roll up the bottom.
    Working a slip stitch around the last row will help keep it from stretching out to much.

Remember to always double check the size you need and make adjustment by adding or subtracting stitches to fit you.

Also make it a little snug as the yarn will stretch with use.

Happy crocheting
    Last edited by Judi Gums; 12-08-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Donnard!
    I'm not the expert in the group but I am doing hats for Christmas. When I make a hat, I have to increase each round ( like the pattern above) until I have a big enough circle to cover the top of the head but when I stop increasing each round, the hat begins to cup into a hat--does that make sense?
    To get it to turn up like a brim of a hat you have to increase your stitches after you have crocheted the body of the hat. So... sounds like the flat hats you are continuing to increase your stitches each round and never just crocheting the same number over and over to make the hat cup. For the turned out or up hats--sounds like you're increasing--- I think, lol, but I don't really know. Hope this helps.