Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried selling on Etsy?

A friend of mine was recently telling me about a web sight called Etsy that lets you sell your handmade items. Has anyone tried this? I usually give away most of what I make, but it would be nice to make a few extra dollars for something I'm doing anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    No I have never sold on Etsy, I have browsed their site. I have sold on Ebay and KiJiJi (which is probably only in Canada). It is difficult to sell on line I find, due to the cost of the listings, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried selling on etsy and have a shop, but it hasn't been updated in awhile. I sold cards, yarn crafts, and jewelry, but found that it took a lot of time and effort, and really wasn't worth my time. It's pretty hard to get steady sales unless you are on there promoting everyday. I know from conversing with members on the site that more money is to be made through setting up booths at craft fairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. That answered my questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats sort of what I thought too. Things don't seem to sell very fast and have to be relisted and then the cost is more than the profit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried a while ago on Folksy, which is sort of like Etsy but UK only. People who don't knit, crochet or craft themselves do not appreciate how long some things take to make and what the raw materials cost. I listed handmade cushion covers for a while and had to stop because I literally wasn't covering my costs of making them. After I'd factored in my time and tripds to the Post Office and so on to mail them out, I was barely breaking even. I think finding a local craft fair or Christmas market or something like that is far better.

morag

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you Caledonia (by the way, welcome here!)...I also had no luck with Etsy or similar sites. I also am from the UK, whereabouts do you live?
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never heard of Etsy, but I have sold other items on eBay! I will have to check into the site you are talking about. Thanks for the post!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't tried selling anything on Etsy. Like Barbi, I've been able to sell some items on eBay but they were not crochet-related or anything. But yes, I would certainly want to try that too. It would be fun to earn money with something that you just enjoy creating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I like to sell things when I clean out my closets, ect. Do you feel it is hard to sell your crocheted items? I guess I wonder if I would be attached to something that took my time to create! What are your thoughts?