Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Introductin & Request for Help

Hello, I am a 64 year old retired fellow living in Arizona and when I was a youngsterI was bed ridden. Back then TV in a bedroom was unheard of and as youngen stuck in bed I wanted "something" to do with my time. One can only read so much and lessons via tutor only took so many hours a day. My aunt showed me how to crochet and I have dabbled in crochet for the rest of my life (I was able to get out of the bed when I was 12).

I have made countless slippers, afgans, curtains for my entire home a few years back and then sold the home with the curtains LOL.

Currently I am making a queen sized bed spread in crochet thread and am not overly fond of the pattern I am using. I have two dogs that will be on the bed from time to time and need a pattern that is closely made. I am thinking the less "holes" there are in the pattern the less chance of the dogs nails catching on the bed spread. This spread will take too long and too much effort to have the dogs ruin it.

If anyone knows of a pattern that would be of interest I would love to see it. I am currently making the pattern that can be found here: About.com: Attic24: Hexagon How-to.

I have already purchased over 300 balls of thread and have used about six balls in this above pattern and am joining the hexagons as I make them so that I will not have to go back and join them after I make countless little hexagons. The work that I have done looks good but is not quite the look I wanted and as I have already said, I have not found the pattern that I am looking for.

I have put up the bedspread for the holidays and have made in the last two weeks two caplets, with matching cap and scarf for the lady next door and another relative.

I find crochet to be relaxing and is generally something that I tend to do early in the morning with my coffee -- you know before I really start the day and again at night after supper while we sit back and enjoy the evening either watching TV or sitting outside enjoying the warm Arizona weather (the sunsets in Arizona are stellar!).

I would appeciate any feedback and I most likely have posted this request in the the wrong section of this forum. I just joined it today and have not explored the forum...hopefully I have not broken any "rules" in posting this request here and if I need to move it or remove it kindly let me know.

Thank you for reading this introduction and request.

John Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the group! We do have some members who use crochet thread which should be on and off the site, so I am sure you will find some valuable info posted here.

We are glad you joined us and we would love to hear more about your crochet adventures when you have some time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdie and welcome.....so what would you like more for a bedspread....on size or joinings?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure I understand your response, but I am looking for a "different" pattern then the one I have started. I'll post a picture of what I have done tomorrow just to give you an idea what I have done so far. The hex's are a little too "open" and I am afraid that my dog's nails will get caught on the crochet thread and ruin the complete project. I am looking for a different pattern that I can use to make a queen size bedspread (either squares, hexes or a ongoing project that does not need to be joined. My only requirement is that the finished spread will have "few holes" where the dogs can get snagged on when it is completed. Look for the picture tomorrow -- I'm going on a mini-vacation now and do not have time to take and post the picture today. Thanks for your response....John
    John Grey
    Bullhead City, AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a single crochet or entrelec stitch I most likely spelled entrelec wrong LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PattyRacz View Post
    How about a single crochet or entrelec stitch I most likely spelled entrelec wrong LOL
    I have no idea what an ectrelec stitch is and I am in hopes for something that will have a more "interesting" effect then simply using single crochet in rows.

I would love to know more about the ectrelec stitch and will check back tomorrow, I am really leaving now for Lake Havasue to visit the London Bridge and the English shops that have been brought over from England. I'll check back either late this evening or tomorrow morning for any additional responses. Thank you for your response and I look forward to further correspondence.
    John Grey
    Bullhead City, AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, I don't use thread very much so I can't help you but I wanted to say HI. We would love to see pictures of your work.

8. Likes Erika liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here are two pictures of the bedspread that I am making

Understand that I am not very good with the camera and did the best that I could.
    I am making a Hex pattern out of crochet thread (aleady purchased 300 balls of thread for the project).

This is a closeup of the Hex Pattern:Introductin & Request for Help-closeup-hex-pattern-jpg

And a photo of the completed work from about four feet: Introductin & Request for Help-currently-completed-jpg

I still have a long way to go if I complete this pattern and am in hopes that I can find a pattern that I like better...if I can't locate one I will continue with this one.
    John Grey
    Bullhead City, AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome. I dont use thread but what you have done is awesome!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John, welcome to the forums! your bedspread is beautiful!