Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I'm Cindy (Hand Crocheted Rag Rugs)

I have just started to crochet rag rugs and would like any tips or suggestions any of you may be able to offer. I have found that it seems to take more time to prepare the sheets than to crochet the rug. I am just beginning and only using a single crochet stitch but I am interested in finding other patterns to use and if using a larger needle makes much of a difference.

2. Likes janie mae, Landon, Amber&TuckersMom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cindy! Welcome aboard! I cannot help with the rag rugs, but it is good to have you here.

Cindy Wright

4. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cindy, welcome to the forums!

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdie and welcome...it's all in the prep...I haven't done 'rag' rugs...but I read that it's true that getting the 'rags' is more work....hope you the best.

7. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the forums! It is great to have you here! We do have several members who do the rugs and we have a few threads on site about rugs. Be patient and hopefully some of the members who have rug experience will chime in. :0)

9. Likes Landon liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Cindy,
    I have done rag rugs. Back when I did them in Alabama, you could buy the ends of bolts where they were making country curtains (80s) or sheets. They had started getting hard to come by then, but they were great, right width, lots of length. As you know, practically nothing is made in this country anymore. Levis, such an American brand, are made in Mexico. Even some of your most expensive clothing, China, Pakistan Viet Nam. You must use the size Q hook with sheeting or any cotton cloth. I have considered finding cloth I like on clearance & using it. Have you considered using T-shirts? There are tutorials on Favecrafts, places like that for preping & using old T-shirts. It's a little easier & maybe you could use a size N or P hook. Single crochet is your best bet with rugs. It has to be tight with no holes to be a good rug. I would also recommend whether you use sheets or T-shirts, check out the thrift shops for materials. They are cheap there & just require laundering before you use them. I hope I have been at least a little help to you & you can always private message me if you have any questions. I am glad you're here with us. There is a really warm, caring bunch of people here.

11. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never made a real big rug. I made a small one once and the prep of the material did me in. I have no patience for all the cutting. I want to use the plastic bags but I can't make myself sit down and cut them up. There will be some more people who know about rugs on here. Good luck and welcome.

13. Likes Maryjane, janie mae, Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cindy! Welcome here. I am Larisa

15. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! Welcome!!!

17. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Cindy and Welcome!!

I am Landon and I am fairly new to crocheting. I am so glad that you have joined us here.
    Do you have pics of your work? We love pictures around here!
    This is a community of very sweet, talented and down to earth folks.

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

19. Likes janie mae liked this post