Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Place to help Hurricane people

Found this posted on another site today! We talked about donating afghans, etc. on this site! Here's a site that has the info on where to send stuff, etc!!
    bevscountrycottage.com/sandy.html/

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for sharing that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing! Someone also posted something about the Red Cross taking blankets for those who were affected, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on Superstorm Sandy - Relief

This is about the United Methodist Committee on Relief a.k.a. UMCOR. I'm not a pastor, but I did conduct the Sunday service at our church on Nov. 4th on this subject. So I did a lot of research in its preparation. After the service a woman came up to me and said she was a nurse in LA after Katrina. She agreed w/ me on this point: Do not donate clothing to any agency unless they specifically ask for it. Some are asking now; most are not. They call clothing "the second disaster" because it takes time away from critical needs to sort, move it to the appropriate distribution point and to distribute it. Please look at this posting: The giver's guide to responsible Hurricane Sandy relief: Give money, not stuff | Watershed Post and you will be as horrified as I am at the waste in some, not all, donations of clothing.

UMCOR has over 10,000 trained and certified volunteers around the U.S. Their plea is for money so they can spend 100.0% of it on needed items. They are asking the United Methodist churches to assemble "flood buckets" with approx. $55 worth of specific items in each and to send them to UMCOR. When Sandy hit they were ready with 18,930 buckets. Most, if not all, have been distributed. More are needed.

Your clothing WILL be needed. Keep making useful items, but my advice would be to get them ready to send when they are requested. This should be an ongoing project as Sandy victims will need our help for many, many months to come. Thanks, TGsDad

6. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I can not imagine what they are going through. Thank youz for these postings, the links and the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Daisy troop may actually be doing a rummage sale in the next couple of months to help with hurricane sandy relief. I have to get some more details on what all is needed and what all I have to do to get it set up but I think the girls would get a great joy out of helping other girl scouts that have lost everything they have worked so hard for. I know my 2 daughters have helped me so much in the past with so many things that there is no way anyone can say that they are selfish.

9. Likes Maryjane, TGsDad liked this post