Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Making Your Own Patterns

Have any of you ever made up your own patterns for anything? I know some people do this and I would love to learn how to do it too. I am pretty good at following a pattern but I have limited creativity when it comes to making a pattern of my own. If you have tried this, I would love to know your approach and how you map out the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Theresa,

I have never thought of others making their own pattern. This is a great idea. It will be interesting to see if anyone has done this in the group before. Waiting to hear!

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually have done this. I learned how to crochet when I was twelve and on my allowance I couldn't afford both yarn and a pattern, so I had to learn to make do without the pattern. The way I learned was to start simply and a lot of trial and error.

Basically, I taught myself how to make very simple things and, as time progressed, I'd dress these patterns up as my skill level increased. For example, I wanted to make clothes for Barbie dolls. The first skirts I would make were basically a tube with a drawstring. As time went on I learned to increase the stitches to make the skirt flare out. Later, I learned to add a ruffle to the bottom. There really is no limit to what you can do.

Also, never say that you lack creativity. I bet you are far more creative than you know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that is quite impressive! I have never tried making my own pattern with something as complicated as that. The only "own" patterns that I have made is a shawl or a stole or a purse but I usually base it from a pattern I have seen already and I adjust it according to my taste and skill level. And yes Catdoll, because of crochet I found out that I could be creative. Not as creative as others but still, I was able to find an avenue to express myself with through crocheting.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    what a great idea than to make your own doll skirts! I have not actually written any pattern myself but I did make simple things by trial and error...once I tried crocheting a circle and it ended up being a beret! I put it on my Barbie's head and it still is there now!!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I think that anyone who has taken the initiative to learn something new (like crocheting or other needlework) is already showing an above average level of creativity. It just takes time to translate what's in your head to reality, but it can be done!

Post Thanks / Like
    The best thing about crocheting without a pattern is that there are no rules! I have learned to make several basic shapes (eg baby hats, purses) and expand up to crocheting a sweater without a formal pattern. I just used a favorite cloth shirt and crocheted to fit. Crocheting without a pattern is adventurous and if things don't quite look right, you can always frog (unravel it) and start over.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to make a pair of slippers once. They came out sized for Bozo the Clown, huge feet and all. I think I need to stick to afghans and scarves, things with simple geometrical patterns for a while! Maybe once I get the knack of that, I can try other items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have done that also, with towel toppers, I try to make each one a little different. Just for variety sake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the variety keeps my mind from wandering. Also nice to make one of a kind presents for friends and family.