Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  103
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Who's Retired...how do you spend your time?

Retirement suits me perfectly! Enjoying Life! I was born to retire early. After 32 years of diligence on the job, it was my time! Three years later, I simply loooove being in this season of my life.

I have a new responsibility as a caregiver to my sweet hubby. It's a job that I do not take lightly! Thank God, I'm retired and available so that I can help him grow stronger each day. He's my main focus at this time.

During my free time, I enjoy my hobbies and activities:
    -Shopping for the home, myself, and others brings me great pleasure.
    -Gardening for many years, growing flowers, roses are a favorite! This year I had a veggie garden, lots of okra and cherry tomatoes and a few cucumbers. Wax beans are growing now along with mini pumpkin seeds I've planted
    -I love to penpal! Making cards to send brings me joy! That unexpected piece of "snail mail" can brighten someone's day.
    -Cooking is a new hobby for me since January. My hubby really enjoys my cooking.
    -Entertaining is what hubby and I enjoy doing:welcoming others to come eat, relax and enjoy some time at our home blesses all!
    -I've always love to read since childhood. Reading is a passion of mine!
    -CROCHET-need I say more! Must make a few gifts for Christmas!
    -Decorating my home! It looks like fall here!
    -Movies (home and the theatre) I am a blooming movie buff!
    -Road Trips! Love them!!!
    .....could add more, think I'll stop here!

Whew!!! Now I need a nap!lol

Please share how you spend your retirement time!
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 10-28-2012 at 03:38 PM.

2. Likes amanda, SweetARoma, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! Sounds like you are having fun!!

I'm not retired but I am a homemaker. I have my three boys ( 4, 7 and9), they are a blast to be around. When not busy with veriouse things pertaining to them, I crochet, read, crochet(lol), knit, watch endless movies and surf the web( here or Facebook). I also like to grow flowers in the summer.

4. Likes Butterflyrose, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was forced to medically retire in 2002 when I developed several serious health problems. Now, I am working on building up my jewellery business, hopefully I can get OFF Disability. I am grateful that I can do what I can, take breaks when I need to and for how long I need to. I am grateful that I can do crafts and people actually want to spend money on my pieces. That always blows me away! They spend their hard earned money to buy my crafts and wear them on their bodies, give away as gifts!! To me, it is an honour.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not retired yet - still a mom, teach my children, and work from home! :0)

7. Likes amanda, Butterflyrose, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know you worked from home, what kind of work do you do, Barbara?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm retired but not by choice..I spent my time crochetiing - reading and trying to keep my house clean.

10. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm retired and I used to read a book every day or two but now I talk to ya'll and crochet and that is my time. I do a little housework to keep the junk from falling out the doors. lol Housework is not my favorite thing. I do tole painting and sewing and my puppies take up a lot of time walking them outside and then cleaning up after them when we come back inside. They haven't gotten the point of going outside!! They are Lovie a chihuahua and Sissy a daucshund. My sis says I talk about them all the time and I say they are my company and I spend all my time with them.

12. Likes amanda, Butterflyrose, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband and I retired, downsized and moved to a condo in Minneapolis in 2008. We love being in the heart of the city. I volunteer as a canteen host for blood drives downtown where I can sit and crochet (doing two volunteer activities at once.) Much of what I crochet goes either to my church (prayer shawls) or to Bundles of Love. (That is a group that provides bundles of baby things to women who show up at a hospital without anything for their newborns. Last month we gave away 130 bundles. Each one contains 30 items - a knit or crochet sweater, booties and hat, a quilt, a knit or crochet blanket, sleepers etc.) The hard part is finding free or inexpensive yarn. I also teach Somali women to sew and have begged free machines on craigslist (17 so far - some wonderful, some truly trash). And we travel. We have a small motorhome we shipped to Europe in 2008 and we spend 3 months each year camping in Europe. It is a wonderfully inexpensive way to see Europe.
    We had been in a 3400 square foot house on half an acre. Now we are 1300 square feet. We had a couple of years to plan for the move and I made myself follow the rule of "Throw something out everyday." Something had to go into the trash, the church garage sale box, sold or given away every day. I still try to follow that rule. It is amazing what stuff can accumulate over the years and should something happen to us, our children are not in a good position to clean up after us. I still have a lot of craft stuff and quilting fabric and my goal is to use it up - preferably for the good of others. I have enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Landon, I was forced to medically retire in 1995 and the first couple of years were rough. I'd worked my whole life and simply didn't know what to do with myself. Then I began picking up old hobbies, crochet, reading, crosswords, gardening and adding new ones, obedience training my dogs, knitting, cross stitch, sudoku, knitting and crocheting for charity and lately I have a new dog I think might be trainable for agility trials. Keeping yourself active mentally and physically is the key to a successful retirement.

15. Likes amanda, Butterflyrose, Landon, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems more of us retire for medical reasons. Worked for 48 yrs straight, then it all stopped. Thought I was going to hate retireing and now find after 8 months that I am enjoying it. Better not to sit around too much even if I have to take a break now and then. Love to chrochet, sew, paint and draw, and gardening. House is clean and fairly organized. Have a sweet husband that I think the world revolves around. And at this moment taking care of a pair of twin boys for my stepdaughter who is unable to. Love them soo much. Age 5 , what a wonderful age in life. Had two grown boys. Brings back memories of how they were at that age. Now only have one. All in all life is good, every day I am blessed to be alive and loving it. Retirement is a lot of planing of what to do with free time and doing it. Everyone should get to enjoy it.