Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: baking question

Post Thanks / Like

baking question

Well, I found this recipe from when I was a kid, and it says to let 'rise' in nonmetalic bowl...when my mom made this, she too used a non metal bowl...why? She can't remember...actually she isn't a very good teacher thus lacks patients when asked questions about EVERYTHING....so why does one use a nonmetalic bowl? (of course I only have metal ones....so I am curious) Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are not alone lol I only have metal bowls... I'm sure someone will have an answer wish I knew what it was lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have a plastic one; but water kept getting caught inbetween....so I think I threw it out or reused it for something....hmm wonders were it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK...acidic stuff isn't good in metal bowls.....I just looked that up and forgot why....lol Also if the recipe rises for a long time...ie up to overnight as well; it becomes acidic thus non use of metal bowl cuz of some reaction.....I didn't find this before I asked the question.....I got some long winded answers....so I answered my own question....I think cuz I still don't know why....lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I think you did too..

Post Thanks / Like
    I bake bread & always use a stainless steel mixing bowl to rise my bread dough. While my yeast is blooming, I put the bowl under my woodstove to warm. I think the big problem is with other metals like copper & possible chemical reactions. To be honest, I don't own any plastic bowls.
    http://tinypic.com/k3rq4z.gif

7. Likes Val liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I always use a glass bowl to let mine rise in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I heard glass is good too....I break glass stuff though.....even stuff that says unbreakable glass (ask my hubby who had a favourite apple pie dish....yup I broke it....) The metal isn't good cuz it has some reaction w/ the rising of acidic breads...ie sourdough and breads that need to rise over night....thanks all

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you answered your own question, Anaisa! I make bread in a bread machine and that has a metal pan! Guess it depends on the metal in the bowl or pan! I don't own any plastic bowls either!

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use a bread machine and glass bowls. Copper and aluminum will cause a chemical reaction with vinegar and baking soda that is NOT good. Also, it will put "pit" marks into the bowls. Bread machine ovens are made of galvonized steel.