Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

yaran weights and sizes

Is there a chart or something that will explain the differences between yarn weights, sizes, uses and changes (i. e. substituting a med. 4 weight for a ww)? Though I have been crocheting for many, many years this is information I do not have any grasp of. There are times when I see an interesting pattern, but do not like the yarn or thread that is used and would like to substitute.

Post Thanks / Like
    For yarn weights here's a great chart from the Craft Yarn council.

Standard Yarn Weight System |

As far as changing a pattern from a worsted weight to a sport weight, that's a little more difficult. You would have to do a gauge swatch in the yarn you wished to use and then modify the pattern (number of stitches, number of rows, etc) to match the new gauge.

Its basically writing the pattern to fit the new yarn.

The only other alternative would be to use your 'new' yarn and then find the appropriate hook to meet the pattern's gauge. However this will probably change the overall look of the item.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Good information crochetgal!
    That's exactly my problem. I basically try to change the pattern by using different thread and hooks. However, I am getting better about being able to make up my own pattern which I prefer anyway, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find myself usually substituting yarn weights too. Mostly the differences I see are size changes. Whenever I find a pattern I like that calls for a specific yarn type, I look up the yarn mentioned in the pattern to see what it's weight and thread ply is. Then I use a comparable weight yarn from my stash to match it. Solves the problem of size and gauge changes for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I am sure that I wil get comfortable with one of these solutions. It is really nice to have a place to go to for answers to the many questions I am sure I will have. I have used the #10 thread for 95% of my crochet items and have only flirted with the yarns. I find that the yarns are easier to see as I get older, so I am trying to cram a lot of learning into as little time as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think as long as you use the size crochet hook that is recommended on the yarn label you can substitute any yarn you like. Just check your gauge. Sorry, that is spelled wrong, but you know what i mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeritoo, I will try that also. I have enough med 4 yarn to start a shop. So, I am just trying to get ideas on what to do with it.