Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: What a Day

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation What a Day

Someone entered my house last night while I was asleep and stole some things. I didn’t know anything about it at first. I noticed first that my car keys were not on the kitchen counter where I usually leave them, so I thought I had left them in my pants pocket. They weren’t there, either. Then I was attempting to pay a bill online and the registration page wanted the account number, so I went to get the card out of my wallet. Oops, my wallet was missing from my purse. It hit me with a thud…I hadn’t misplaced anything, I’d been ripped off…while I was asleep! Scary!!

In addition to the keys and wallet, my cell phone and digital camera were taken.

First thing I did was call the Ford dealer to see about getting new keys and remote. Then I called Auto Club for a tow down to the Ford dealer. My Auto Club card had been stolen (it was in my wallet), so they were able to accept my picture ID from my photo in the church directory. When I arrived at the Ford dealer (rode with the tow truck driver) they needed a photo ID…so they had their shuttle driver take me to the DMV so I could get a new driver license ($25) and the temporary license had a Xerox picture of me. The DMV took about 3 hours. Then I used a phone at the DMV to call the Ford place to come pick me up from the DMV. Anyway, the Ford dealer got the photo ID it needed, so they worked on recoding the key so the key stolen won’t work ($287).

I also called the police but was out taking care of the car when the officer responded, so I'll call back tomorrow. The thief rejected the plastic container of change. Maybe the police can get fingerprints from it.

Finally got my car back at 3 pm so I could go to the bank and apply for a new ATM card and get cash so I could pay a bill…and have money until the new ATM arrives.

I wish that was all. God bless my landlord. I called him to request that he not deposit my rent check, but he had already done so. He’s going to send me a check for $400 and let me pay him back $100 a month (he will accept less as long as I make an effort to send him something toward the amount I owe).

I still need to call my cell phone company, cancel credit cards, get a new Social Security card, insurance card, etc.

My landlord’s handyman put a new door key in.

What a day! Thanks for letting me share.
    Last edited by ooh-lalah; 10-04-2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: added information
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG!! Joyce!!

How scary is this?? I am so glad that you are ok!! Do you have any idea who could have done this??

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a clue...and I'm going to beef up security measures...like metal latticework screens or something. My landlord is very good about stuff that needs doing and has a handyman who can install them.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about a dog? Were there signs of how they got in? I am glad you have such a good landlord. I have 2 landladies here where I live and I just love them to pieces!! Our maintainence guy is really good too. you are sounding very calm to me! I am so grateful that you are ok and were not hurt!

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG!!!!!!! Joyce, how horrible!! Thank God you were not injured. Material things can be replaced, a life cannot. Also, glad you did not awaken during the robbery. Hate to think what would have happened if you had gotten up out of bed and found them in your home. Something like this requires a yappy little dog like a Yorkie or a Chihuahua. Even a miniature dachshund would do the trick. So glad you are alright. God Bless and here's praying that those fools will be caught soon!--Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    I sound calm, yet I'm experiencing a heightened sense of vigilance. I've been up all night sitting at the computer, playing games, then take a crochet break, running on adrenaline (I do that sometimes anyway, so that part isn't "new behavior"). The TV has been on all night, hopefully to deter any would-be burglars. I went to Walmart at 3 am to buy more of my canned coffee drinks (Starbuck's Double Shot) and a few other things. When I got home, I was very watchful, looking around to see if anybody was around as I was taking bags out of the back seat. If I saw anyone I was ready to hit the horn thingy on the remote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! They say to make a copy of the front and back of all your cards that are in your wallet, so you have the information to be able to call and report them stolen without the hassle of pulling the information.

I am glad that you are safe and sound! Hope you get everything back in order very soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can, definitely get a dog. My dog weighs 65 lbs., wouldn't hurt a fly, but her size scares everyone off. She barks at anyone ringing my doorbell or just passing by. I always know if someone is around my house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you are ok...wow hope the rest of the week is much better!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my! How awful! While you slept too....worst kind of creapy. Yes, so glad that you are ok; sorry that you have to go through the hassel to replace it now, but thank goodness you are ok!