Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

How To Make Rag Yarn Tutorial

Hey guys! I finally have gotten around to taking pics and getting the tutorial uploaded.

How To Make Rag Yarn

Step 1: Lay your fabric out on a flat, clean surface. Remove or undo any seams.

Step 2: Make a short cut down the length of your fabric about 1-1.5 inches wide.

Step 3: Take both sections of the fabric and rip them apart down the grain of the fabric, but not all the way to the end.

Step 4: After ripping, leave the fabric sections attached by about 1/2 inch or so. Turn the fabric and make a second cut the same width as the first.

Rip that section down to the edge, and continue! When you're done, you'll have one long strand of fabric that you can wind up and crochet with!

I'll do a shameless plug and let you know that I've started selling my rugs on Etsy. Let me know what you think, and good luck!
    Raggy Rugs Home Decor
    Last edited by writer_crafter; 11-18-2011 at 10:22 AM.

2. Likes Barbara G., katherine liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Would anyone be interested in a tutorial on crocheting with plastic bags? I can put one together if so
    Raggy Rugs on Etsy Eco-Friendly Rugs, Home Decor, and More

4. Likes Koolgooseygramma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Writer_crafter,

You are welcome to post any tutorials you would like. It will be a nice addition to our forums. Even those who are not members, view as non-members on site. Thanks for your helpful ideas!

Post Thanks / Like
    just made my first "rag" rug i used old t-shirts it turned out great if i do say so my self. knit fabric is great to work with but could get expensive if you are planing to make many. i have cut my old sheets into strips but couldn't find too many rug patterns i liked but in serching i found several "doily" patterns (simple patterns) which i think would look great going to try and see how it works just passing on a tip anyone may be interested in hope it works o k judy

Post Thanks / Like
    these rugs are so pretty,thank you for the tutorial.Ihave crocheted baskets out of fabrics,they turn out very nice.Iwill have to make some rugs,and a plastic tote out of plarn.I have so many things I want to make,I'm crocheting on 3 afghans now,plus I want to make a denim rag quilt,oh my so much to do and not near enough time.so I better get to it .kay

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tutorial! Making rag rugs is one my to-do list-I have a recycle corner when I sell at craft fairs. Hop someday to make a few rugs to sell. You just made it a little easier for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    am i missing something? after cutting the strip what is the next stepes?
    georgiapeach

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by georgiapeach View Post
    am i missing something? after cutting the strip what is the next stepes?
    georgiapeach
    Hello,

This thread was created to help members who were interested in creating rag yarn. Some people use the rag yarn to make rag rugs and so on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen this done with Blue Jeans. My neighbor crocheted her husbands old Jeans into a really pretty rug. The blues were beautiful! How I wish I had asked her more questions!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I just figured out how to change pages on here, and found the tutorial. Thank you very much - I'm going to go start a rug!