Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gauge Help

Post Thanks / Like

Question Gauge Help

Easy Ripple Afghan - Free Crochet Pattern - Handcrafting With Love

Hello,
    I was wondering if someone could help me with a swatch for the afghan I am trying to make. I seem to always get confused with the swatch width and most of my projects show the result of not measuring correctly.
    For the pattern listed above, I chained 36 stitches and followed directions for row 1 and 2 and then continued with row 2 as directed.
    The pattern indicates 8 rows = 4 inches which I understand, but also has 1 pattern repeat is 3.75 inches wide. Here lies the problem..what is considered 1 pattern repeat? How many stitches would I be counting to determine that? I am trying to measure from point to point on the afghan, but I don't think that is correct and I'm done with guessing and ending up with disappointing projects.
    I would appreciate any help you could offer. I know this is probably a silly question but since it is the foundation of any project, I figure it's time I start off right.
    Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi!

Your question regarding pattern repeats is quite common.

To start with, a starting chain of 36 stitches will result in a very narrow strip being created rather than an afghan. In order for the pattern to work correctly the starting chain must be a multiple of 16 stitches and then add 2 stitches.

So your options would be as follows

1 multiple of 16 + 2 = 18 sts
    2 multiples of 16 = 32 +2 = 34
    3 multiples of 16 = 48 + 2 = 50
    4 multiples of 16 = 64 + 2 = 66
    5 multiples of 16 = 80 + 2 = 82

and so on.

When trying to determine the pattern repeat, I will look at the pattern first to see visually if I can see any form of repeat. On this pattern, it looks like a repeat is from one point to the next.

Patter repeats are quite often listed as "repeat from ** to ** across. What is between the ** is generally the pattern repeat.

In terms of stitches, that would be the portion of the pattern that reads, ""*work 3 st dec in next 3 stitches, dc in next 6 dc, 3 dc in next dc, dc in next 6 dc;"" in the second row of the pattern.

Hopefully that will help you out.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    The repeat is this *work 3 st dec in next 3 ch, dc in next 6 ch, 3 dc in next ch, dc in next 6 ch. And one of these should measure 5 inches across if you use worsted yarn and 3.75 inches if you use sport yarn.
    Last edited by fairynatb; 11-17-2011 at 06:21 AM.
    FairyNatB