Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Ideas for starting a crocheting/knitting group

We are starting a crocheting/knitting group. Does anyone have any good ideas and/or suggestions that will help to make it successful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Annie and welcome! I don't belong to any groups, but I wanted to say how glad I am that you joined us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the group! Are you starting a group in your local area? I would love to hear more and I can give you some ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    We met for the first time this afternoon. Some people have done some knitting and/or crocheting and others haven't. We set a time to meet once a week for an hour. If you want to stay longer you can. People that have done some knitting are going to bring their projects to share so everyone has ideas of projects. Those who haven't done any knitting or crocheting are going to sit right by someone else who will help them. We brought some patterns and put them in a folder. Others may make copies for 25 cents.
    Everyone introduced themselves, told how much they know about knitting and/or crocheting, and told what their goals were. I learned that there are three ways to cast on and learned a new way today. Some people may just come and bring their projects of any kind and enjoy the socialization.

5. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a great idea.. There is one here in Regina but I have yet to make it to the group night...

Best of luck with the group!!

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great idea! You know, I just realized that there is a knitting group around here. Thank you for the reminder sand Best Wishes for your group to be a big success!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Annie! welcome to the forum! we have a group that meets @ the library every friday..

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any suggestions of things to do or things not to do? Do you have any resources that you have found to be valuable?

Post Thanks / Like
    It might be a good idea to ask the members what they would like to do as a group. Some might like sitting and learning beside others like you planned. Also, if you are meeting at a library, you may have access to crochet and knitting books as well as computers to look things up online, or to view a video. Some libraries have a separate room to play videos which will not disturb others who are their reading.

For new crocheters, it might be nice to start with them from the very beginning. Showing them hooks, supplies, different kinds of yarn, followed with teaching them simple techniques to start with. Then, you could move to other types of stitches. If you want to start with a project eventually, you might consider a small one so that the newbies can do it easily and feel like they have actually accomplished something. They will have a good feeling.

11. Likes Dsynr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    And squares are a good way to introduce handwork. They can be donated somewhere like "Ronald Mcdonald House" or raffled off to help pay the costs of maintaining the group.

And my best wishes for your group's success!