Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Craft show

Post Thanks / Like

Craft show

I did a craft show this last Saturday and didn't do well at all! I didn't have to pay for the space, but it would have been nice if I made a little money! Guess I just didn't have the things people wanted! I'm a little bummed by the whole thing and now I'm rethinking the craft show thing! I'm still having fun doing shows and I do love to crochet, so I probable will stick with it! Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for letting me vent!! Oh-I make toys, dolls and games for children!

2. Likes Grandma Darlene liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have not done craft shows, but I do know that with the economy in general that people are not making purchases as usual. I would not get discouraged at this point. The holidays are around the corner...are you doing any set ups for the holidays?

Post Thanks / Like
    Aww...sorry to hear about that; Don't give up, people sometimes like to look and then don't make the rounds back....

Post Thanks / Like
    There may be people who looked ... and will remember you. Do you have little cards so people can get in touch with you later?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have your pieces online? To me, that would reach a broader audience. I have only done one craft fair and I did not do well at all. My health really interferes with me doing any more. I wish I could tell you something solid, Maryjane! I am putting together a lot of pieces to list online. I believe that shopping online is the place to be. But, those are my thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maryjane I did 1 show last year an didn't do well either. I only had 3 different items, maybe thats why. I had never been to one before so I didn't know what to expect. I had some barbie evening gowns, bassinet purse/doll in all different colors-I had about 30- an some crocheted christmas bulbs with an angel inside.I didn't even make the $20 I paid for the table. I"m going to try 1 more time in Nov. This time I have a lot of different things. Its so hard to tell whats hot for the season. I wish you LOTSA LUCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I know just how you feel, I belong to a craft group, at first we really bombed out but, thru the years we have been doing really good. Have no idea how we will do this year as the times are really bad. Good luck on your future shows. Crochet Nana

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear you didn't do well MaryJane. That's a real bummer.

I started selling my work at the art festivals many years ago and found that it took a lot of work to find the 'right' shows for your target buyer.

I started by doing the smaller church and school shows, but found that the people who attended those were looking for a bargain. So I started to invest in the higher priced shows that catered more to my target market and that's when the business really took off.

This year the 'hot' items for me are the ladder ribbon necklaces... I can't make them fast enough!. I posted a tutorial on how to make them at
    http://crochettalk.com/links-resourc...necklaces.html

One other thing that is really selling well this season are the ruffled scarfs made with the flamenco style yarns. I've been selling the Sashay brand and can barely keep it in stock and the scarfs are gorgeous! A friend of mine took a selection of them with her to work this past week and sold at least a dozen of them for $30 each.

My hottest selling items have always been my shawls though. I never seem to have enough of them made to last the season.

Don't give up after one show. Each show is a learning experience and a great way to meet potential customers. I've found that even if someone doesn't purchase from me at the show if they can pick up a business card many will contact me later.

I know I've done that on a number of occasions.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

10. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been doing the small shows and I have had mixed results! The show I did last Saturday was free and at a garden center that was having a Fall Festival! I really didn't know what to expect! I have many different items, hoping people will want at least one thing that I have! I guess I was just having a bad day Saturday! Thank you all for the encouragement and advice! I'm not going to quit doing something I like to do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck at the next one!!! Sorry that the first one didn't go well...