Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing tricks

I need advice about crocheting around a piece. I cant seem to get a handle on finding the ends of rows and end up guessing. The result is inevitably uneven and choppy looking. Any hints?

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of us have trouble keeping the sides straight. Some of them came up with a trick of putting a pin or marker at the end of the row and moving up so you can always see the last stitch in the row. This helped me out. I was making an afghan and when I looked it was so crooked on the sides that I had to pull out 18" of it. That was over a skein of yarn. Now I mark both sides. Good luck and welcome. I think you will love this site if you use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    This has also helped me tremendously - marking my last stitch in a row with something. Hope this helps you out!

Post Thanks / Like
    here's some videos of putting a border or edging on a afghan...hope it helps.

Crochet Borders - Bing Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes it just takes practice to find the ends of the rows. What you might want to try as an exercise is to get a very large hook (L, M, N or P would work well) and some light coloured chunky yarn. Then work a swatch and you can see exactly where the stitches are. By doing this a number of times and learning exactly what to look for, it will make working into the ends of rows much easier.

I have my students do swatches with single crochet, double crochet and treble crochet like this so they can start to understand the mechanics of a stitch.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

6. Likes chefmomster2, Landon, rosieh20 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been doing pretty much what you did on the video so I feel better about my "guessing" Thanks so much for this help.

Post Thanks / Like
    An easy stitch marker that almost every woman has is an earring. The pierced variety work really well as you just put the shaft through the stitch, put on the plastic holder, and your stitch is marked.

9. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Thanks for the great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by crochetgal View Post
    Sometimes it just takes practice to find the ends of the rows. What you might want to try as an exercise is to get a very large hook (L, M, N or P would work well) and some light coloured chunky yarn. Then work a swatch and you can see exactly where the stitches are. By doing this a number of times and learning exactly what to look for, it will make working into the ends of rows much easier.

I have my students do swatches with single crochet, double crochet and treble crochet like this so they can start to understand the mechanics of a stitch.
    I will definitely try this. It is a great idea.

I use all sorts of things as markers, but never actual markers created for it. They are generally way too expensive. In the past I've used bits of yarn, tiny binder rings, paper clips, twist ties, and other things I have on hand. I especially like using twist ties.

I also run a twist tie through the eye of the needle I am using to finish while it is not in use. It makes it easier to find on my work area. In addition, with the wire attached I can store it in a section of my crochet case and it stays put. Not on topic exactly, but useful, I hope!

Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Mornin Val! Thanks so Much for the Link for Crochet Borders!! Awesome site!
    Hugs, Marybethblus

12. Likes Val liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I mark my ends with a safety pin. Works great for me.