Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what this needle is for?

I got this needle with a huge bundle of crochet needles that a friend sent me. She found them at a thrift shop and snagged them for me. Some are so tiny that I cant possibly use them but most are sizes that I use a lot. This one needle is a mystery to me though. It reminds me of some type of latch hook but its definitely not a latch. I am hoping that I load these correctly for you to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images Do you know what this needle is for?-needle1-jpg Do you know what this needle is for?-needle2-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea but I know someone on here will. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have been doing some searching and have not found anything exactly like this one yet. I am wondering if it is some type of knitting needle. I will let you know if I find anything - others will also be on over the weekend and may have some ideas, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I knew that it would stump some of us...LOL I havent found anything like it and I thought I knew a little something about needle arts. It will probably turn out to be something that will make me feel like a dummy for not figuring it out! My bet is on some kind of weaving.

Post Thanks / Like
    What you have is a bodkin. It is used whenever elastic has to be threaded thru something. I have 2 of them which I inherited from my late mother-in-law. They really do work and are really handy.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I thought it might be. What throws me is that the "hook" and the ball end are both on the same end and I havent found another one like it anywhere on the net. Most bodkins have the ball at one end and an 'eye' at the other. This one seems like it would be pushed through something to hook onto something else and pullit back through.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW I have never seen things like these

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never heard of this, could someone tell us how you would use this?

Post Thanks / Like
    You thread the elastic thru the eye. Then you put the needle end thru the opening that has been left open for the elastic. Push the needle part thru until it goes all the way around and comes out the same opening it went into. It will pull the elastic thru. Then you can sew the ends of elastic together and then sew the opening closed. After threading the eye, you place both the short tail and the long tail under the looped metal piece and then slide the round metal section down to keep the elastic from coming out of the eye.
    Last edited by Irishjl; 09-01-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew one of our members would know what it was! It makes sense that it is a tool to insert elastic, etc into a casing! That's sort of what it looked like to me!