Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Children

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like

Children

Hello all of you who have children, or even maybe little nieces and nephews,

I love playing with my daughter, she is a year and a half, but sometimes I run out of ideas for playtime and she seems not to be interested if I read to her (or even just show her the pictures) and runs off after a couple of minutes
    If you could share with me some activities that you worked for you at one time or another, I would be grateful!

Thanks (sorry I am a first time mum and we spend long hours just my baby, my dog and me).
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    You are so lucky to be a new mom. If I had to do it over again I would at least have six..........I know that sounds reticules, and I guess it would be quite costly to raise that many children today. The fact you are reading to and she likes it is good, how about crayons and paper, they love the colours and making silly lines. Try rolling a small soft rubber ball or a large beach ball. Have run out of ideas hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fairynatb,

Here is a site that will give you over 250 ideas of things to do with toddlers:

Toddlers. Fun Activities. Over 250 ideas. Come Play and Learn together.

Toddlers are so busy all the time, and they are switching from one activity to another because their brains are developing so rapidly. She is still learning in her little head, by leaps and bounds. So, don't worry, provide what you can to her. This is such a precious time in life. Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    It really depends how old your child is. Small children have such short attention spans. We use everyday items to make games out counting things or grouping things by color. That way its a learning experience too. My granddaughter loves to stack things...anything! We play with boxes, blocks, Legos, she even helps me stack the plates when we empty the dishwasher or set the table. The possibilities to teach and entertain are endless. This is really a special time. Enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone that replied and gave me ideas...I also try to turn everyday activities into games and fun instead of just being routine things we do. I will visit that site about toddlers fun and educational activities. It's true small children do not require much to be happy and sometimes buying them loads of expensive toys and games is not worth it if there is no human factor. I noticed they particularly love the attention from parents and fellow kids.
    Thanks again!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh, I had so much fun with my kids when they were that young! They are teens now, but I remember that between the three of them they were all different on what would keep them occupied. One was quiet and could be read to for hours, or just sit and play quietly with her dolls. The other one was a tomboy and constantly into everything, wanted a new adventure all of the time, and you couldn't make her sit still if you tried. My son followed my tomboy daughter around and did whatever she did. Those two I had to plan small increments of time because their attention spans were so short!

Post Thanks / Like
    I admire moms that have many children since I think it is so hard to look after them all at the same time. Now I try to spend some time just after waking up to try and flip through colourful books but I do not really read the whole story to my little girl since she'd just run off. We take walks also in the lane in front of the house and we practice animal sounds and alphabet and counting (though it is me who does the reciting...for now!!) lol.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Just received an email from my step-daughter-in-law. She has a granddaughter just walking and she said what a joy she is, I told her to just wait until she got to the terrible 2's. Wonder why that age always seems to be the age they are "brats". I guess they start to feel independent to a degree and have learned to say NO! NO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know. My three kids are in their twenties, and they all still have their "bratty" moments.

Post Thanks / Like
    My great gandson was visiting his grandmother (my daughter) and she tried to get him to say Hi to me and no way was he going to say Hi. Just NO ! NO !