Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Pattern Help, please!

Hi,

I have tried a couple of patterns for a man's crocheted cap for winter (preferably one that folds up at the end). Both of them were easy to make, but ended up not fitting my head or anyone other grownup in the family. They did, however, fit a grandchild, thank goodness! I really would love to make a few for Christmas presents, if possible. Does anyone have an easy pattern for me? I would really love it if you do.
    Thanks so much, Helster

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

You might want to take a look at these:

Post Thanks / Like
    Or this one:

Post Thanks / Like
    Barbara G.,

Thank you so very much for the videos you posted. I am so happy to have them and can't wait to start "shaying" (as my hubby says)!!! The choices are great also. I really appreciate you helping me out and hope I can make them to fit the heads of the men in the family, lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had that problem, too. I figured out that I would have to use a larger crochet hook and increase for more stitches in the round. I have found that you need at least 72 stitches in the round for a man's cap, depending on the hook you use. I generally use a J or a K. Also, try to crochet looser than you normally do. Good Luck!

6. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pat is correct, you can have all the simple patterns you want, but if it doesn't fit in the first round or 2, you are gonna have to redo the starting chain, adding, perhaps and go from there. Changing hook size also helps, but not always, cuz it depends on how tight your tension is, and each one of us does different in that department, hence the GAUGE thing. I don't make much for garments of any kind, but gauge is important, and gets one started on the right path. I haven't looked at the videos, but she may mention gauge in there, listen, and follow instructions, happy hooking, and good luck on your project!!!!!!

8. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that if you measure your starting chain and be sure it is just a tiny bit smaller than the head size you are wanting to fit, that the hat will fit the person in the end. You will then need to adjust your stitches accordingly around the hat. In other words...if you are making a pattern stitch, you will need to find out how many stitches are in the repeat. Then, you will need to divide your current stitches by the repeats to find out if you need to adjust your pattern. I have taken a pattern repeat of 8 stitches and my beginning chain was supposed to be 80 + 3 for the beginning dc. I then adjusted the pattern repeat down to 6 stitches and my beginning chain was then 72 + 3 for the beginning dc. When I chained 72, it fit around my son's head. The 80 stitches would have been too big for him. The pattern repeat was adjusted down from 4dc's to 3 dc's but kept the same feel as the original hat. When finished, it fit perfectly. Just a little bit of math and voila, a beautiful fitting hat.

10. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's good info, Kath, if you're starting at the cuff. If you're starting at the crown, tho, you need to be sure you've got enough stitches around to end up fitting a large head. Personally, I prefer patterns that start at the crown because you don't end up with a hole in the top. I just do fpdc and bpdc at the bottom to make a cuff, having dc'd only in the front of the previous loops.

12. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patsg,
    I never thought of using a larger crochet hook. I probably would have been better off if I did. I hope to have good luck with the videos from Barbara G., but will definitely try to remember the 72 stitches and also try not to tense up while crocheting. I think that was a problem too! Thanks for your help; I really appreciate it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shaddy, I think I have a tendency to crochet tightly so I will try to remember to relax a little bit more! I have never changed hook sizes, but I bet that would really help me. I appreciate your good luck wishes and want to get started again to see what happens. Thanks!!