Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Teaching my daughter chain stitch

Many of you may have read a few weeks ago about my daughter's interest in learning to crochet. We were sitting at the doctor's office today and she asked me to show her how to start crocheting. I actually had remembered to take some crochet stuff with me!

She practiced the chain stitch with two different types of yarn. Really, she did pretty good with it for her first time! She was excited about it! Just wanted to share with everyone!

2. Likes Irishjl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is great! Nothing like sharing an interest with your children. My oldest has been asking me to teach him too. I told him to ask grandma as she can teach him better then I could.

Post Thanks / Like
    that's wonderful Barbara. Its always nice to see the young ones showing an interest.

Did you use the 'large hook' method or did you start with finger chains? My younger students ( 3-6 years) just love working the finger chain method with super bulky yarns as they can actually make something to take home during their first class.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, she started with some peaches and cream yarn with a H hook. Then, she worked with some sparkle yarn - I love this yarn, because she thought the black with silver threading was cool. She said "I could make a bookmark!" She is interested and so this is great!

I actually forgot about the finger crochet! I will have to show her the video on this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool!

My adult class on Tuesday is learning to make a scarf using the finger crochet technique and the Swerve yarn
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/9834036...vineyard-super

I'm not sure why they wanted a class as they are all experienced crocheters. But it will be fun to see what different ideas come out as a result
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

7. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    thats good Barbara. I thought I was going to teach my daughter how...she got the chains down but can't sit long enough to learn to really crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I taught a few kids, um tried to teach a few girls finger crochet....they loved turning yarn into balls but then only one was interested in actually crochet...great job I hope her and you great success and fun times together doing so...

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with teaching someone to crochet is that they want to be an experienced crocheter in two lessons. My twin sister has no patience and if she can't do something immediately she doesn't want to try! UGH!!! My daughter and grands are the same way they want to learn but they want to make an afghan or clothing after a lesson. I try to explain that it took me years to be able to pick up a pattern and make whatever I want and I still pull out row after row if it doesn't look right to me. I keep thinking that after they get older they will have more patience time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my daughter is having two girls stay the night with her tonight. It is nearly 1 am and they are in the front room. My daughter is showing both of them how to do a chain stitch! :0) And they are using the black yarn with silver thread it in because it is so cool! LOL

12. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic, Barb!! There is nothing like the feeling of satisfaction in passing down a craft to a younger generation. I had the priviledge of being my daughter's girl scout leader for 2 years. The girls wanted to learn to crochet, so we spent about 2 months on learning the chain, sc, and double crochet. Their project was to make an owl towel holder for their former leader. We were able to present her with a pair of them for her kitchen at the presentation ceremonies they hold at the end of each year. Each girl had done a little bit of work on both of them. The look on her face was priceless!!! Quite a few of them have continued with crocheting. Hopefully, they will teach their children.