Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Red Heart Yarn

Post Thanks / Like

Red Heart Yarn

I make a lot of afghans with Red Heart yarn. I have noticed in some that the yarn will begin to fuzz up while I am still working on it, mostly the lighter colors which are some of the softer yarns. I don't see this happening with the variegated or darker colors. So the extra dye in the yarn may be helping to keep our projects looking better longer even though they are a little scratchy.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Judi, I have noticed that. But after the project is washed, the pilling seems to stop. It could be the dye or it could be the way the yarn is twisted together to form the strand. Either way, it can be annoying, especially if you are wearing dark clothes and the yarn is light colored or vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes i have noticed that too. i often crochet with that brand of yarn. red heart has a new line of yarn at my wal-mart it is called "with love" by red heart. it has the same feel as the "i love this yarn" by hobby lobby. much softer to the touch but a bit more expensive--it is $3.47. you might try if this yarn does any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi Gums View Post
    I make a lot of afghans with Red Heart yarn. I have noticed in some that the yarn will begin to fuzz up while I am still working on it, mostly the lighter colors which are some of the softer yarns. I don't see this happening with the variegated or darker colors. So the extra dye in the yarn may be helping to keep our projects looking better longer even though they are a little scratchy.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by libertylady64 View Post
    yes i have noticed that too. i often crochet with that brand of yarn. red heart has a new line of yarn at my wal-mart it is called "with love" by red heart. it has the same feel as the "i love this yarn" by hobby lobby. much softer to the touch but a bit more expensive--it is $3.47. you might try if this yarn does any better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I,ve noticed that too! And I will try the "with love" yarn! A lot of my Red Heart yarn is old and I thought that's what was causing it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't say I've noticed it but I don't know that I spend as much time crocheting as some of you do. Right now I am working with black & white Red Heart yarns and haven't noticed a difference at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using a lt blue yarn from red heart on the blanket I'm working. I had 2 places that were thick & had to trim out..so forth thats all I had. (knock on wood)

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on which of the Red Heart yarns you are using you may find that some are softer than others. The SuperSaver yarn is a generic acrylic who's formula hasn't been changed very much in about 40 years.

Although the new 'With Love' is supposed to be a premium yarn and is supposed to be soft, when it comes to value for the money I've found (and my customers have noticed it as well) that its just as harsh as the Super Saver.

However, if you try out the Eco Ways yarns from Red Heart, you will find that they are much softer and make beautiful afghans and wearables.

Another wonderfully soft yarn to use is the "Red Heart Soft" yarn. It comes in a wide range of colours, is good value for the money for the 5 oz skeins and Coats & Clark has just announced the 'Super Soft' as well for those who need a 10 oz ball.

Many of my customers just love the Red Heart Soft yarns!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Red hart also has a catalog you can down load or just scan and see what colors go with what.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try washing the whole skein in a nylon hose or a pillowcase & drying in the dryer.(be sure & use softener). Helps a lot.