Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Coffeeholic Crochet Loving Teacher on board!

Hey everyone! I'm Kai. I started crocheting almost the same age as Therese - which was around 10 years old. I think I was in elementary grade 4 at that time. It was a hand towel project where I had to crochet the "handle" of the hand towel. LOL. But it perked my interest ever since then. From that simple project in grade school, I started to do more complex projects in high school. I even joined national competitions when I was young (more than 10+ years ago.. haha!) and won. I have my teacher and mentor to thank for my crocheting skills.

Now that I'm a teacher myself, I want to pass on the love of crocheting and other needle and thread crafts to my students. Sadly the advent of technology throughout the years has slowly killed this craft in my country. People here have labeled "crocheting" as an old maid's activity. (which I cannot really refute absolutely coz errr.. >> I'm still single and well my high school students think I'm that OLD to be considered as one.. gah!) I want to prove to my students that crocheting can be hip, cool, and modern! I've been seeing some cool crocheted accessories which has piqued my interest. I'm planning to learn to do that soon.

I'm in no way means an expert. I haven't done serious crocheting for years. I'm currently doing "beret" projects as we speak but its taking me years to finish (internet, droid phones, and real life stuff can indeed be quite distracting!). Most of the stuff that I make I either end up giving it away as gifts or something that I randomly sell to someone who really really likes it. I hope that by joining this forum that I will be able to meet new people whom I can interact with and share ideas as well coz I believe in the saying that there is always room for improvement. Please feel free to chat and talk with me! I'd love to hear from you guys.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kai, welcome.
    I do recognize myself in a lot of what you are saying; I used to be a teacher too in high school and now I also find it hard to make time for crocheting as I once used to.
    Anyway, I am sure that here is a good place to better your skills in crochet and thanks for sharing your story.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks dear! I've never truly forgotten my love for crochet even through the "silent" years of no crocheting. Teaching this craft has rekindled my love for it. I'm always on the quest to look for patterns which I can try and experiment with the local stuff that I have. Thanks fairynatb for the reply. What grade level did you teach before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! I am enjoying getting to know everyone on this board. It seems the hand crafts are a dying thing. I know very few young people who want to learn these skills. Perhaps we can encourage others to try it and they will come to love it as we have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard Kai,

Nice to meet you and read your posts. Is the picture on your avatar a creation that you have made? What part of the Phillipines are you from?

I am from Oklahoma, work and teach from home. I also have been so busy with other projects, that I need to sit back down and take the time to crochet again. Life gets so busy at times!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Kai,
    Hope you enjoy this crochet forum as much as I do. Its so nice to chat with others who enjoy the same crafts. Hope you have loads of fun.
    Misty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa L View Post
    Welcome aboard! I am enjoying getting to know everyone on this board. It seems the hand crafts are a dying thing. I know very few young people who want to learn these skills. Perhaps we can encourage others to try it and they will come to love it as we have.
    Hi dear! Me too, its fun to be part of a forum that is just starting. It will be so much cooler when we have more people here. Anyway, I know right! Young people nowadays are too engrossed with technology. And I'm just glad that somehow in my own lil way, I was able to pass on the legacy, the love, and the passion that I have for needles and thread - especially crochet to my students. As of now I have six under me whom I have trained in either crochet, cross-stitch, knitting, afghans, and embroidery. They each know at least one of these crafts. Some know more than that. I hope that I will be able to stir up the interest of others by showing how fun, cool, and modern can crochet or knitting can be.
    Last edited by kaisensei; 09-22-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: I forgot to add the quote

8. Likes Misty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    Welcome aboard Kai,

Nice to meet you and read your posts. Is the picture on your avatar a creation that you have made? What part of the Phillipines are you from?

I am from Oklahoma, work and teach from home. I also have been so busy with other projects, that I need to sit back down and take the time to crochet again. Life gets so busy at times!
    Hi Barbi! Thank you for reading my posts. Yes the picture on my avatar is one of my works. Its no longer with me though coz one of my students bought it from me. hehehe. I love the color though and I plan to do it again. Maybe one for me! I look forward in posting some of my works and projects with you guys. Wow, you are a teacher and work at home? That's so cool! I have considered doing that before but upon reflection, I find it much more fun interacting with students in real life than on the net. Anyway, hope you are doing well there over at Oklahoma.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Welcome Kai,
    Hope you enjoy this crochet forum as much as I do. Its so nice to chat with others who enjoy the same crafts. Hope you have loads of fun.
    Misty
    Hi dear! Me too, its fun to be part of a forum that is just starting. It will be so much cooler when we have more people here. Anyway, I know right! Young people nowadays are too engrossed with technology. And I'm just glad that somehow in my own lil way, I was able to pass on the legacy, the love, and the passion that I have for needles and thread - especially crochet to my students. As of now I have six under me whom I have trained in either crochet, cross-stitch, knitting, afghans, and embroidery. They each know at least one of these crafts. Some know more than that. I hope that I will be able to stir up the interest of others by showing how fun, cool, and modern can crochet or knitting can be.

11. Likes Misty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kai
    Thanks for the post, I'm so glad you can pass it on. Maybe I can pass it on to my GreatGrans.