Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: I'm Baaack!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Baaack!

Yes, I know. I kind of fell off the map for awhile, but before I go visit my Mom for her 92nd birthday, I felt I should throw a post together - just to make sure you all don't think I've retired to some remote island somewhere. So, this is what I've been up to during my posting absence.

I'm Baaack!-img_1053-jpg
    As you might recall, my nephew's wife is due in December (a girl!) and this is what I will be gifting her with at the shower this Saturday. The Unicorn Lovey I designed myself and the pattern is now available in my shop. The booties pattern still eludes me - sorry. The sweater is a free pattern offered by Caron Simply Soft yarn here. Lilleliis' doll pattern is sold here, but I did add the crocheted heart applique based on Pink Milk's free pattern. The baby blanket is based on the pattern by Debra O'Leary Patterns, Arielle's Square, available for purchase here. The edging is different than her pattern - row 1 - sc around; row 2 - *hdc, skip one sc, ch 1, hdc in next sc*, repeat * to * around; and the bobble edge is *sl st in next st, sl st in next st, 3 dc's in next st*, repeat * to * around. A simple but cute border, even if I do say so myself. And you could weave a ribbon in the hdc row if you wanted. The squares were whip-stitched together.

I'm Baaack!-img_1057-jpg
    I am still totally in love with Lilleliis' Cuddly Baby Amigurumi doll. The one on the right is being given away and I'll list the middle one for sale in my shop. The one on the left is the first one I made. He has button eyes and a button heart on his chest, so he wouldn't be any good for a baby/toddler. I think I may just have to keep him for myself!

I'm Baaack!-img_1059a-jpg
    I love doilies but really don't have much of a use for them. I do like the idea of framing them or attaching them to hoops for decoration, though. This Wispweave pattern by Julia Hart really caught my eye, so of course I had to try my hand at it. She has much better lighting in her photos to show off the textural stitches, so go take a look at her post. Above is my version. I plan to try this in multi-colors - this could make a great base to a dream catcher. It is an intricate pattern and a little fiddly, but well worth it.

I'm Baaack!-img_1062-2-jpg
    In trying to keep with my resolution to use up my stash, I have delved into my collection of Loops and Threads Woolike yarn and began this cowl. It has been inspired by the very lovely and economical Botanica Cowl Kit being offered by Willow Yarns (anyone say "Christmas"?). I love the little "bobble-ish" texture my cowl is taking on, and I'm very happy with the colors. Plus, since Woolike is a fingering yarn, the weight of this cowl is perfect for the mild California winters.

Well, I hope this proves that even though I may be very behind in my blog posts, I certainly keep moving forward with my crochet projects. I hope everyone has a great Halloween, and I'll see you in November. Till then, happy crocheting!

2. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nova55, I loved everything you shared with us. I love baby things and that sweater with a hood is adorable as the dolls. That blanket is lovely and the border is just right for a white blanket don't want to over do a border to take away from the blanket. I don't think I could ever make the squares the same size so I have never tried any of those kinds of blankets plus I cannot join motifs they just never look good when I do them. Yours is beautiful and very neat.

Thank you for sharing your creations (the Lovely Unicorn) and all the other items plus the shared patterns and where to find them what a lovely lady you are.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all your compliments! Spoula, I've seen photos of your work, and I can't imagine you not being able to make the squares the same size. I used Bernat Baby Sport for the blanket and it worked up well for this blanket. But I agree tension can be a problem, that's why I like to work a project till it's done. And joining was just a simple whip stitch with wrong sides facing and through the tops of both dcs - of course you could do that! Admittedly, square/motif creations aren't usually my thing, either, but I just loved the design and thought it was perfect for a girl.

5. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nova, Thank you for the compliment. I really like that blanket it is so pretty and girly. I think you could do that same blanket joining with blue or green and a different border for a boy and you will have anothe winner. I just posted a C2C baby blanket I made. It only took me less than 6 hours to make as I kept stopping to watch the hurricane. I finished the border with the last row in the crab stitch so it is sturdy and for a boy. I couldn't believe how fast it worked up.

Have you seen this? I would like to try this. Picture and video below
    I'm Baaack!

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Nova, I forgot to ask you if you ever decided to put clothes on your little Halloween folks you posted last year and did you find the scary guy a girl friend yet? They were so cute.

I don't decorate too much unless I have the grandchildren over. I had them last weekend and I put out some porcelain witches, pumpkins and Ghost. I had a large pumpkin that has a light inside and they got a kick out of it. My 5 year old told me kindly that it was not a pumpkin but a Jack o lantern. He was correct however since it had been carved and not solid.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hello Nova, Thank you for the compliment. I really like that blanket it is so pretty and girly. I think you could do that same blanket joining with blue or green and a different border for a boy and you will have anothe winner. I just posted a C2C baby blanket I made. It only took me less than 6 hours to make as I kept stopping to watch the hurricane. I finished the border with the last row in the crab stitch so it is sturdy and for a boy. I couldn't believe how fast it worked up.

Have you seen this? I would like to try this. Picture and video below
    I'm Baaack!

Spoula
    Well, great minds think alike. I was thinking about doing the whip stitching and border in another color, but I decided against it because I was afraid that if the whip stitch didn't come out well that it would really stand out. What a chicken I am!
    You were able to make a baby blanket in less than 6 hours?!!! Ok, I am totally amazed. I'll definitely check that out because I am thinking about doing some craft shows next year and a survey said that baby blankets are one of the top sellers, plus being a wonderful stash buster.
    I have seen that square around the internet and I love it (and the blanket is gorgeous). I've even seen it where the person just kept on going and made a baby blanket, with an ombre yarn, of course. There is another person who has done some really nice texture squares - https://www.ravelry.com/designers/polly-plum, if you want to check her out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Nova, I forgot to ask you if you ever decided to put clothes on your little Halloween folks you posted last year and did you find the scary guy a girl friend yet? They were so cute.

I don't decorate too much unless I have the grandchildren over. I had them last weekend and I put out some porcelain witches, pumpkins and Ghost. I had a large pumpkin that has a light inside and they got a kick out of it. My 5 year old told me kindly that it was not a pumpkin but a Jack o lantern. He was correct however since it had been carved and not solid.
    Spoula
    I haven't made any clothes for Arthur, but I did find a girlfriend for him! I went looking a while back and found very small posable skeletons, so I bought what would be a baby (compared to Arthur's size) plus a puppy skeleton with a bone and bowl. Then I found the girlfriend! I couldn't believe that about 20 years later I could find a near replica of Arthur. So they've been sitting on top of my entertainment unit enjoying the world. I want to make a loveseat for them - I already have the design - and I will need to make at least a hat and wrap for the girl. After I come back from my visit with my mom and after I make the Christmas presents. So much to do and so little time!
    We have a box of Halloween decorations up in the garage, but frankly so few people trick-or-treat or decorate around here that we don't bother. Our next door neighbor is really into it, though, and he does a nice job, so we can enjoy his work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55,

The unicorn and dolls are cute. The doily is pretty. Pretty colors on the cowl too. Nice Work

11. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What wonderful things!!!
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

13. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova55 View Post
    Well, great minds think alike. I was thinking about doing the whip stitching and border in another color, but I decided against it because I was afraid that if the whip stitch didn't come out well that it would really stand out. What a chicken I am!
    You were able to make a baby blanket in less than 6 hours?!!! Ok, I am totally amazed. I'll definitely check that out because I am thinking about doing some craft shows next year and a survey said that baby blankets are one of the top sellers, plus being a wonderful stash buster.
    I have seen that square around the internet and I love it (and the blanket is gorgeous). I've even seen it where the person just kept on going and made a baby blanket, with an ombre yarn, of course. There is another person who has done some really nice texture squares - https://www.ravelry.com/designers/polly-plum, if you want to check her out.
    Nova, thanks for that link for Polly Plum. She takes the old granny squares to a new height. I like all of them I wonder how she did the star on #184. One day when I get through making baby things and that day is coming soon I want to try making some lovely squares and attaching them to create a unique blanket. The only problem for me is our winters are mild and we don't need heavy blankets.

Also I am very happy for Arthur that he wont be alone any more. I thought you had created a chair for him last year so you just need to make a love seat so they both can share.

Spoula

15. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post