Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Old crochet pattern does someone know of this?

have been looking for an old pattern for years,it was from a book I believe 1978-1983 not sure. The book it's self is a craft book not solely for crochet,it is a Fall edition,the pattern was of "Crocheted Chicken Breadbasket" it is of a chicken that fits over a basket or bowl,it's wings lift up and there is a hole crocheted in to you can get to the goodies inside.The tail feathers are done in acolorful ripple crochet,I have see many patterns over the years but none are of the one I had made years ago. I believe the book was a Womans Circle,or Womans HouseHold, all I can remember it was a Fall book,there was a sewn turkey on the opposite page of the crochetd Chicken bread basket.The pictures were in color.I made many of these breadbaskets to give holiday homemade cookies in and the people loved them,but I had lent the book out and never got it back,can some one out there help me find this very old pattern. It was done in 4ply yarn.I don't know for sure the book I do remember the pictures were in color and the pages were shiny not the dull pages .Sure would love to find this pattern before I die,It's on my bucket list ,LOL.
    Shaddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I do not have many older crochet resources. Hopefully, someone will be able to help you. I did a search online and came up empty handed. I will however keeps my eyes open! Sounds like a really neat crocheted gift idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping to get as many eyes looking as I can.
    Shaddy

4. Likes chefmomster2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shaddy! I'll keep my eyes open too! Sounds like an interesting pattern!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Hen breadbasket Pattern

Hi there,

I didn't come up with anything in my research either. SO, when i want something I can't find, I try to find a way to make my own design of it. I know my Grandmother had one on her table that she made from a WorkBasket magazine pattern, but she made changes to hers. Keeping that 'model' I remember in mind, I'm going to 'reverse engineer' a pattern for you. Hopefully you will like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa!!!!!!!!! I love a gal that is smart in that regard, and thanks so much!
    I am currently going thru things on Ebay, just as a precaution, but am doubtful I will find it, so have at it gal, what a genius you must be!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Progress on the Hen breadbasket cover

Well, Shaddy, here's what i have done so far.

I came up with a way to make the head portion and then increase to go along the top of Hen's back to fit to the other end of basket (I used an oval basket, btw.)

I have guesstimated how many stitches it would take to span that distance, and I sorta sketched out what the other parts have to look like, the wing shape, for example. Then I borrowed from a very old ripple washcloth pattern to form the tail.

Now comes the part that's going to take the 'genius' work. I'm going to test what I have so far and try to tweek it along the way. When I have what I think is a workable pattern, I'll post pictures of the work so you can decide if this is what you want. ok? Remember, I'm working from a memory of something that was derived from a different pattern, so it might look a little different than the one you are looking for. LOL

Anyway, if you let me know exactly what size basket you are wanting your finished hen to fit on, I can tweek the pattern to fit those dimensions. That will make the pattern more useful to you.

And yes, I'll post the pattern for free, since I would love to see some of these vintage pieces come back to the home. Just chalk that up to the country gal in me.

9. Likes chefmomster2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I will have to take a day or so, and check my stash of baskets, going to be gone for several, please be patient?
    Appreciate your assist in this matter a great deal, and look forward to seeing your handiwork.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Hen breadbasket cover

Sure! That will give me time to play! Hehehehehehe!

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that pattern was in crochet word I ly remember seeing it