Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello

Post Thanks / Like

Hello

Beginner in crochet. Already experiencing "carpal tunnel like" pain in hand & wrist area. Is this normal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the group! Carpel Tunnel can occur from any thing which is repetitive. It can also be from heredity in how the body is made. I personally have had this problem and had surgery to correct it on both hands many years ago.

Keeping inflammation down is important and you can also wear wrist braces at night if you tend to curl your wrists when you are sleeping. This will allow you hands to "rest" and be straight for 6-8 hours through the night.

Also, it is important to learn to relax while you are crocheting. This will allow the muscles in your hands to be more relaxed.

Glad you are here and we look forward to hearing more about your crochet adventures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome! I'm sure you may have less of a problem when you become more confortable with crocheting! You are probably tensing up! Glad you decided to join us!

Post Thanks / Like
    some very good advice already...sometimes making a small project or taking breaks inbetween helps...I find it hard to take a brake when I'm on a roll; but since you are experiencing pain, don't give up, just start small....