Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Blueberries

Post Thanks / Like

Blueberries

I just got home from picking blueberries-8 pounds of them! This is something we do every summer! Iwill freeze some and make jam with the rest! Do any of you have traditions like this? We also pick strawberries, sour cherries, and apples!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

When I was younger, my parents used to go picking. My best friend did go out and pick wild aparagus this year and I went to help him. His neighbor lady had freshly pickly blueberries she shared with us since we shared from our picking. They were delicious!

Post Thanks / Like
    My days of picking are over but I certainly enjoy fruit/vegetables fresh from the earth.

Luckily, there's a good local market that stocks produce from nearby Amish farms. Best tomatos I've tasted in years. The oned from the supermarket always taste like cardboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    We used to go picking wild huckleberries...didn't much care for bear tracks or snakes ...but loved the warm huckleberry pudding with fresh whipped cream, or evaporated milk if there wasn't fresh cream. That was years ago, before the housing boom, when there were woods and farmland wherever we looked....times gone by.

Post Thanks / Like
    In one of my travels I was in upstate NY and I found a lot wild blueberries (yeah the bear tracks are nerve racking); I tried to re pot them; it worked for a little bit...but traveling and a garden don't work always the way one hopes...but yes I like to go rose leave collecting; apple picking; etc thanks for sharing...

Post Thanks / Like
    We pick blueberries and raspberries every other year because I always pick too much and have preserves and berries in the freezer for a while. We grow blackberries and mulberries which we pick every year. I used to have strawberries but the plants have finally given up the ghost. I have 2 cherry trees but they are too young still. Can you tell I'm a beery-nut? lol