Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Katia from PA

Post Thanks / Like

Katia from PA

Hi,
    I am Katia from PA. I have taught myself to crochet in the past 5 years. This year has finally opened up to me and I have done several sweaters and handbags. I have persevered and it has paid off. It will be nice to have people who can answer my questions, as I am totally self-taught and sure I am missing some important tips. Now that I have a large selection of leftover yarn, I would like to make an afghan. However, my common sense tells me that different yarns will yield different size squares. How do people deal with this? If all the yarn has to be the same weight, etc. then I don't see how it can use up my leftover supply. Do people buy new yarn for their afghans? Or do they use different size hooks which seems to me would take a long time to figure out. I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Katia,

Welcome to the group! It is nice to have you. I personally have only done afghans with purchased yarn. I know that some people use leftover yarn to do afghans, as well as smaller projects. I would say the yarn should be close in weight to keep the look and feel of the project consistent. Several members have posted ideas for leftover yarn within the forums.

At the top right on the forum page is a search box. You can put in the words "leftover yarn" and it will give you a list of all the threads that have ideas for leftover yarn that have currently been posted within the forums.

I look forward to hearing more about you and your projects!

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Katia, welcome on board our forum. I also have purchased new yarns for such big projects but you could ask anyone if they have more left overs that you could go through to get yarns more or less of the same weight to keep the afghan looking good.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ideas! I was just wondering if the yarn had to be equal because all I ever hear about is to make granny squares from left over yarn, and my experience has shown me that all the yarn would have to be pretty much the same. I think I will purchase most of my yarn as I want the project to turn out well. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Katia!

Welcome! I'm in the same shape as you (have a lot of left over yarn) I am making hats with mine which doesn't take that much yarn. If you run out of one you just add a contrasting color to finish it off, lol!

I also want to try making the small stuffed animals that I learned about on this forum. Can't tell you right now which thread that's in but like Barbara said, it should come up in a search.

Glad you're here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti Hale View Post
    Hi Katia!

Welcome! I'm in the same shape as you (have a lot of left over yarn) I am making hats with mine which doesn't take that much yarn. If you run out of one you just add a contrasting color to finish it off, lol!

I also want to try making the small stuffed animals that I learned about on this forum. Can't tell you right now which thread that's in but like Barbara said, it should come up in a search.

Glad you're here!
    Thanks, Patti, I do like to make hats for all my grandchildren and other relatives!