Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Winter Recipes

Post Thanks / Like

Winter Recipes

Good morning all,

I thought that I would share a quick and easy recipe that I put together when I was in my college days.

It is my quick and easy chili:

• hamburger
    • can fire roasted tomatoes
      • can ranch style beans
    • jar of picante sauce
    • onions and green peppers
    • little smoke flavor
    • worcheshire sauce to taste
    • chili seasoning to taste

Cook meat, onions and green peppers. Drain. Add the other items and season to your liking. Cook or simmer for about 30 minutes, or longer if desired. It is even better the next day!

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing this recipe Barbi, it is always interesting to come up with new mixtures and I am sure your quick chili tastes nice. I was born in a country where peppers and chili is often included in all the dishes. I have spicy recipes that I can share so that those of you who like to cook can try them out. I do quite some cooking and baking if I am not crocheting or on the net, or looking after baby!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    What a fun idea. Fall is definitely here where I live and for our family, that means lots of soups and stews. I love to use my slow cooker for many of these. This is one of our favorites. Set this up and you can sit back and crochet the day away while it simmers and fills your house with wonderful aromas.

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
    2 pounds beef stew meat
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of golden mushroom soup
    1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup
    1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
    1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
    6 cups hot cooked noodles or rice

In a 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker, mix beef, onion, soups, mushrooms and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until beef is very tender. Stir cream cheese into beef mixture until melted. Stir sour cream into beef mixture. Serve over noodles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I can tell you one thing, I just copied that recipe and will put in my binder for a very delicious meal. I have started using my slow cooker already. It has started to get cool during the days and with rain it can be miserable. But a good quick hot meal is just what the doctor ordered. My husband and I are the only ones at home now so I have to make meals that will be good to freeze and reheat for another meal. It is so hard to know what to have for supper, I really have a thing about deciding every day what we should have for supper. Oh well, now I have a new recipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone else tried white chilli? It's one of my favourite winter meals! I also add cilantro to mine

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 onions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cooked, boneless chicken breast half, chopped
    3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
    2 (4 ounce) cans canned green chile peppers, chopped
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    5 (14.5 ounce) cans great Northern beans, undrained
    1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 10 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the chicken, chicken broth, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat to low and add the beans. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until heated thoroughly. Pour into individual bowls and top with the cheese.

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitley saved the beef stroganoff recipe! That sounds amazing!

I just made a recipe tonight that used some homemade chicken stock I had made earlier in the week and it was awesome! It was a sweet pepper rice dish that I got from Allrecipes.com - recipes, menus, meal ideas, food, and cooking tips.. But instead of water I used chicken stock and then added sauteed portabella mushrooms after it was cooked. Yummy!!!!

Ingredients
    1 cup uncooked long grain rice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 pinches pepper
    Minced fresh parsley

1.In a small skillet or sauce pan, saute the rice and garlic in butter until rice is browned. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the peppers, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley.

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep a recipe bookmark on my browser and have several places to look for new recipes, I too save the beef stroganoff recipe and I'll save yours as well. As suggest earlier I am make a folder recipe file for myself, rather than saving hard copies.

Post Thanks / Like
    These all look great. I can't wait to try them.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a slow cooker but the plug is broken and my husband has yet to fix it...I got a pressure cooker now and it's electric and I love that too...I find it very useful to cook pulses and I love a good soup made of lentils...very nice when it's warm, especially on a cold winter evening.

Here's how to do it: for 2 persons. Wash a cupful of red lentils and set it aside. In a saucepan heat up a turn of oil (about 1 tablespoon or a bit less) then fry in some garlic paste (a teaspoon) and some dried or fresh thyme (a teaspoon or 1 sprig). Put in some ginger paste (1/2 a teaspoon or a bit more). Add the lentils and fry for a few minutes then add water generously to cover the lentils well. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes or more. When it starts boiling you can add 3 tablespoons of chopped tomatoes if you like them. Enjoy warm.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooh, this recipes look good. I love soups and chili when it gets cold, plus they're soooo easy to make. I'll add my apple sauce recipe:

• 1 pound of peeled, diced apples (granny smith, red delicious, etc.)
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • Cinnamon to taste

Add them all together into a crock pot/slow cooker and mix together. Cover and cook on high until the apples are completely cooked down (4-6 hours).

You can eat it warm or save it for later. My mother and I made some a few days ago and it was gone in a few hours!