Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Angry US Navy "Dixie Cup" Sailor's Hat

I was about 8 or so. I had a childhood illness and was driving Ma nutty. She collected her leftover thread and yarn, some crochet hooks and knitting needles, and the old "Learn How" book. She told me to "Make something." I futzed around until I learned how to crochet. I started making the hat and ran out of thread, a straw about aran size, and never did get the thread to finish it. I still want that hat. If anyone has that old WW II-era pattern, please share with me.

2. Likes teresah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Here is what I could find online for you.

This one is a pattern available on Etsy:

Sailor Dixie Cup Hat for Boys or Girls Crochet by tiptopapplesauce

This one is also a purchase pattern:

Sailor Stripes Hat | Crochet Clothing | YouCanMakeThis.com

4. Likes Maryjane, billiebob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Barbara G. BUT I've seen this hat but it has a rounded crown, and lacks the looseness of the turned-up portion and other details. I might use it [I have the pattern] if the original WW II adult version cannot be found. I'm in no hurry. I've got a few WIP's to work on in the meantime. Thanks for trying to help me. The original WW II pattern is out there somewhere. Somebody has it. They will see my plea and share.....someday.
    Sigh........
    Last edited by Dsynr; 06-21-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: misspelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you ever find a pattern for this? I too am now looking for an authentic Dixie Cup USN style hat that I can crochet from cotton yarn.

7. Likes teresah liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Dsynr, I'm sorry I don't have a pattern, but just to let you know, I " futze " too...LOL Teresa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsynr View Post
    Thank you, Barbara G. BUT I've seen this hat but it has a rounded crown, and lacks the looseness of the turned-up portion and other details. I might use it [I have the pattern] if the original WW II adult version cannot be found. I'm in no hurry. I've got a few WIP's to work on in the meantime. Thanks for trying to help me. The original WW II pattern is out there somewhere. Somebody has it. They will see my plea and share.....someday.
    Sigh........

I've been looking for you but can't find anything except stuff for babies. I'm burned out searching, lol!

You mentioned the Learn How Book. That is a series of instruction booklets by JP Coats (Coats and Clark.) I have the edition published in 1959 - it's Learn How Book, No. 170-B. There are not any adult sailor hats in it. So I did a search for the Learn How Book which preceeded it and found they had published one in 1952. I found two places who have a copy of it...very pricey! But no way to see the Table of Contents, so I don't know if your pattern is in it or not.

I couldn't look at the hat Barbara G. put a link for, because it's been sold or something. So I have no idea what it looks like.
    You mention that it's not the right one because it has a rounded crown. The authentic USN Dixie Cup (WW2 era) does have a round crown which was formed by 4 pie-shaped pieces and the shape was rounded. When the guys put them on they grabbed the brim on each side and pulled them to the sides, which possibly made the crown look flat.

So, what I'm trying to determine is, are you absolutely sure the instruction book was the Learn How Book by JP Coats and, also, are you absolutely sure it was called, or patterned after, the "Dixie Cup" hat.

Incidentally there are literally hundreds of the authentic USN "Dixie Cups" for sale on the internet, plus you could get one from an Army-Navy Store who carries the actual US Navy issued hat. You could always use it to study and possibly figure out how to finish your hat.

Try a Google search, possibly for vintage patterns WW2 or whatever search words would narrow it down for you. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. Or, do as I did, too, look for vintage crochet books for the years you want. Perhaps you'll recognize the book cover and can go from there.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

10. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if they still do it, but my Da and other younger family members used to fold their Dixie Cups in a special way that when they were unfolded they had those four corners… hard to explain.

12. Likes Poinciana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OKWTink View Post
    I don't know if they still do it, but my Da and other younger family members used to fold their Dixie Cups in a special way that when they were unfolded they had those four corners… hard to explain.
    How cool!
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    I googled the sailor hat and came up with a lot of them for small children---ravey has one but it is 5.50. Hope you find one you ike----bettybee

Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    HIya, OKWTink, I would like to welcome to you this site.. I know you will find it addicting.. In a good way.. The members here are so ready to assist you and are also very friendly.. Hugs, Teresa