Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb New and hoping to start a charity crochet group in the Southaven, MS area.

My name is Mary and I am relatively new to this site. I have been a member for a couple of months now and I am enjoying it immensely! I love hearing all of the insights from other members of Crochet Talk! I am so inspired and motivated every time I visit here.

I learned to crochet as a young child when I would spend weekends with my grandmother in Chicago where I grew up. I can't crochet without looking back on those times with fondness.

I am also new to the area of extreme north Mississippi just south of Memphis. I would dearly love to start a charity crochet group or just a group for crocheters to meet, socialize, exchange ideas and share projects. If you are in the area and would be interested, please let me know. Maybe we can introduce ourselves in person and not just on the web!

Send a PM if you're interested!
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mary,

Hello and welcome! It is great to hear of your desire to start a group and I hope that this goes very well for you! Also, it is neat to see you are in Mississippi! I live in Oklahoma, but was born in Mississippi!

It is also nice to hear how inspiring the group has been to you so far! Glad to have you as a member!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! And welcome! I wish I lived closer- I live in Upstate NY! Glad you joined us on this forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Mary! I am Larisa. I live in Europe. What do you mean by "charity"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi kl1000!

I guess it takes many forms, but in general charity crochet is when crocheters create simple hand crocheted items for places such as nursing homes, homeless shelters, hospitals and the like. Common items to donate are caps for newborn babies, lapghans (small lap-sized afghans) for the wheelchair bound or elderly.

I've heard of groups that give free crochet lessons to beginners with the stipulation that their first project be donated to charity. Some work with a specific charity, but others may choose to work with a series of different great causes. Those who participate certainly gain far more than what they spent in time and effort in creating these true gifts of love.

I hope that answers your question!
    Mary

6. Likes billiebob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Maryjane! I wish you were closer too! It is hard starting over in a new town and I hope a crochet group will be a good way to meet some folks who share a special interest with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    OH thank you for the explanation.

Post Thanks / Like
    i wish i lived their i would love to go!
    Happy Crocheting