Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Double End Hook?

I found a brand new, still in the packaging, double end hook at a yard sale today. How is used? It's quite large. P-16 11 1/2 cm. I also got a 9 mm metal hook. Both for the outrageous price of 25 cents!!!

I'd appreciate knowing how the double end hooks are used. Plus, I have several VERY LONG crochet hooks (double normal length) I picked up several years ago. Can't find any information on why they're so long.

Would appreciate any information members care to share.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Double ended crochet hooks allow you to carry two sizes of hook in one tool. It sounds like you got a REALLY good deal! Congratulations!

Here is some info in the Beginning Crochet Group on different hooks, hook sizes, and types of yarn used:

http://crochettalk.com/groups/beginn...het-hooks.html

http://crochettalk.com/groups/beginn...ypes-yarn.html

The P size hook will be for bulky projects which normally require a number six yarn, such as rugs.

The other hook you are referring sounds like it is an afghan hook. Some of them are much longer and it makes it easier to do stitches such as the afghan stitch. The extra length makes it easier to perform crocheting on some projects.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple different sizes for those - they are cro-knit hooks or sometimes called cro-hooks - I used them to make stocking caps - start out by crocheting a chain (with the one end) - I'm terrible at trying to explain how it's done, but it is easy and makes lovely caps! What's nice is they stretch more with this stitch - if you click on this website, it'll explain it better than I can:

Crochet on the Double with a Cro-Hook

Do give it a try!! You can make nice scarves with this stitch, too!! I've never tried afghans or anything else, but maybe someone else has.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds quite interesting! Maybe I will have to give it a go sometime! Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    YOur very long crochet hooks are called Afghan hooks and it is worked unlike regular crocheting. You would leave a stitch on the hook, and proceed to pick up and leave each stitch on the hook, so when you get to the end of the row it would look like a knitting needle with all of the stitches on. YOu then do a yarn over and pull through the 1st stitch, and continue in this manner removing all of the stitches until you get to the end of the row, and then you just keep repeating the 1st and 2nd. row. Since they first came on the market there is a miriad of things being made besides an afghan.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hook I have is made of plastic and is quite thick. It appears to me that the hooks at the ends are the same size.

Thanks for the link to crocheting with a Cro-hook. I'm fascinated by all the different types of stitches. I'd heard about Tunsian crochet but haven't had time to research it. Plus, I like fast projects which is why making squares and hats for KAS is exactly the type of thing I like to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    crochet crazy is referring to a totally different hook than the cro-hook - the afghan hook is a long crochet hook but just has a hook at one end - the cro-hook has a hook at BOTH ends......

Quote Originally Posted by crochetcrazy View Post
    YOur very long crochet hooks are called Afghan hooks and it is worked unlike regular crocheting. You would leave a stitch on the hook, and proceed to pick up and leave each stitch on the hook, so when you get to the end of the row it would look like a knitting needle with all of the stitches on. YOu then do a yarn over and pull through the 1st stitch, and continue in this manner removing all of the stitches until you get to the end of the row, and then you just keep repeating the 1st and 2nd. row. Since they first came on the market there is a miriad of things being made besides an afghan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I understand the difference between the long single hook and the double end hook. I just don't know if I'll ever use either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope ya have fun with them. Lisa

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you do use them. Just give them a whirl! Another name of the type of crochet that you do with the long hooks is called Tunisian Crochet. The beauty of it is when completed it looks like a grid you can cross-stitch designs on or it can look like knitting and purling. There are loads of demonstrations on YouTube for Tunisian Crochet and pattern books on the market. Simply, you are crocheting and once you pull your sc, dc, tbl stitches through their last loop(s) you leave that loop on the hook. If you can crochet... you can Tunisian Crochet (Afghan stitches).