Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to convert Asian crochet hooks to US or UK ones

Hi dears! Its been a while. So sorry coz I have been a busy bee. So I'm just wondering if any of you know anyway to convert the crochet hook sizes... I've tried asking around here at the stores on how to figure out the conversion of Asian to US but all I get is blank stares. Here's a sample photo of my hooks..

This is a two in one hook. The size says its 3 and 5 but when I compared it to a 3 or 5 US based sized one its very different. Its like smaller! So its hard for me to follow patterns using US sized hooks. I try the gauge but it comes out very different in the pattern. I end up wasting time trying out different hook sizes to at least be a bit similar to what the out come should look like. But usually I end up with a very different proportioned crochet piece which makes me frustrated and want to do all over again.

So if anyone has an idea on how to convert or have good advice, I would love to hear from you! Here's the hook picture next to a ruler to give you an idea of the size. Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Here is a conversion chart for US, UK, Canada, and metric:

Crochet Hook Conversion Chart

http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/info...onversion.html

Here is one for US, Canada, UK, AUS, NZ:

Crochet Hook Conversion Chart

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I am still looking for additional information on Asian conversion. Do you have a brand name on the hook? Maybe the company site would have additional information. I will see if I can come up with anything else.

Anyone else is also welcome to join in on the hunt for an answer! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    My suggestion would be to measure the hook diameter around the shaft. I use one of those gauges that's used for measuring bolts and just pop the hook into the holes until I find out the right size.

Then once you know the mm diameter of the hook, you can look at any of the tables and determine what letter size it corresponds closest to.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Crochetgal,

Thanks for the post! Great idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I encountered the same problem too since I bought a crochet hook locally (same as Kaisensei's, the 2-in-1, but mine has size 5 and 6), and then bought a set of bamboo crochet hooks from China. The ones from China are in US sizes because even if I put the US6 size needles 4mm beside the local 6/0 crochet hook, the US one is still bigger than the other. From the image below, the shiny one is the aluminum hook which was locally purchased and the other is the bamboo hook.

Then again, it's still difficult to know what the basis of the numbering/labelling for the Asian hooks are. What I usually do is just be to see what gauge is needed for the project, create some sample swatches, then by trial-and-error, I'll know more or less which needle I will have to use to create the right size for the finished product.
    Last edited by giftedchild; 11-04-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kaisensei,

I am wondering if you could use the metric sizes on the conversion chart to match up this hook size. It would be interesting to know.
    Judi G.

Post Thanks / Like
    Regardless of what's written on the hook, I'll always measure the hook first (using the technique posted previously) and then determine the 'letter' size based on the tables.

This is the table that I've found to be most useful
    Hooks & Needles |
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm that's an idea. Will try to measure the crochet hook shaft.. when I have enough time, I will probably take proper photos and then measure the shaft diameter. I don't think I have the thing you mentioned about measuring bolts.. Will think of a way to measure it. Thanks for the idea!