Thread: coaster I made

Post Thanks / Like

coaster I made

Definatltley needs more practice, but I did learn a lot on this one

coaster I made-img_20120611_223931-jpg

2. Likes libertylady64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

You are off to a good start! Watch your counting and watch your tension when crocheting. Then, you will do just fine! Thanks for sharing with us!

4. Likes Irishjl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I never worked with a pattern before. Still learning to read one. I don't understand why () mean do this first this amount of times. And then [] means the same thing. It got confusing. If I'm missing something in the meanings please let me know....Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It s nice and I like colors

Post Thanks / Like
    very good for your first time, just keep practicing and everything will fall into place with your tension. i can not read patterns too good that is why i go on the you tube site. they have alot of videos for people just learning to crochet. i started out when i was 7 or 8 years old then i just picked the crocheting bug back up and i love it. happy crocheting.

8. Likes novice61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice colors! Really good for a first time! A tip on reading patterns: Write out the pattern in words instead of the abbreviations; for sc you would write single crochet, etc. Then take one stitch at a time, finish that one and go on to the next one! It does take time but it does work! I even do it now when I'm doing a difficult pattern! And I've been crocheting for years! And it helps to read the pattern out loud while you are doing it!!! Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the single and double stitch down. I know the slip stitch also. I'm starting to understand crocheting in the round. For the one I need a pattern to follow. I think the problem for this one was when you did the first row and then went to start the second row you were working backwards and with it turned to the back and I couldn't always tell my single from my double stitch. Anyone have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    You will learn by practicing! A dc stitch will always be taller than a sc stitch! I'm not quite sure what you mean by "working Backwards". You are working on the other side of the piece-I guess you could call it the back! Some things don't have a back side and a front side! Anyway-you should be very proud of yourself-your first attempt was good! So keep it up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by momof2 View Post
    I never worked with a pattern before. Still learning to read one. I don't understand why () mean do this first this amount of times. And then [] means the same thing. It got confusing. If I'm missing something in the meanings please let me know....Thanks
    Hi momof2, the [] is used for an entire segment of the pattern that is repeated, the () is used when a portion of the segment is repeated within the entire segment. I hope I am explaining this correctly. The more you do it the easier it will get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello libertylady64, that is how I am currently learning to crochet. Youtube is a very helpful site; I have made two purses and a hat. I have learned to sc, dc, treble stitch, and other stitches. I never knew that there were so many stitches and I haven't learned half of them as of yet.