Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Knit in Public

Post Thanks / Like

Knit in Public

Any one out there participating in KIP. Our charity group had a knit in public event yesterday outside our library in Markham. It was darned hot and I only lasted about an hour, but we did get a lot of stares and some people did come over and were interested. There's another one in Newmarket all week. I think I may go to it to meet fellow knitters and crocheters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

This is a great idea for those who would like to get others involved in charity knitting, or crocheting. We do not really have a group in our small town that I know of.

Post Thanks / Like
    I belong to a knit/crochet group, we held our last meeting at a local restaurant that has outside tables. We had a couple people come up and talk with us on our projects. It was a nice evening and thankfully the weather agreed with us, had it not we would have done inside.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I sometimes go with my husband when he goes to some of those home improvement places-he's a contractor! I always bring my crocheting- and sit in front of the store while he shops! I'm used to the stares!

Post Thanks / Like
    Crocheting in public may also bring others who live near you together, so if you want to start a group that may be a beginning. I have found since I have gotten older that it is easier for me to strike up a conversation with others, and I make more of an effort just going out shopping. Just a small comment can open the door to a conversation, or who knows a new friendship with someone who shares your love of crocheting or knitting.

Judi G

6. Likes billiebob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I knit/crochet on my way home riding the subway/TTC (public transportation). It's funny, you have it in your bag, you get on the train/bus, grab a seat/or not, but you are itching to pull your knitting/crochet out and get going on it whether standing or sitting. It's as if you are so aware that it is there and saying: "knit/crochet me pls." Sometimes you try not to pull it out because everyone is looking, but you just can't help it, because nothingelse is on your mind and you can hear it crying : " knit/crochet me, knt/crochet me" LOL. Signs of an addict I guess. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I CIP as often as possible. Usually, kids will be the first to talk or come closer to look. I try to show them how easy it is. Any time i can plant a seed, maybe. . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanary68 View Post
    I CIP as often as possible. Usually, kids will be the first to talk or come closer to look. I try to show them how easy it is. Any time i can plant a seed, maybe. . .

I agree. That's the only way this art will not be lost.

Post Thanks / Like
    I CIP everywhere. I have four kids and started crocheting at one of their little league games. I had a boy come up and ask what I was making. I told him I was making a hat and he asked if I could make him one. This started a trend. I don't sell my things I give them away. When I was vounteering at the school I would have kids come up and ask for whatever they wanted and I would make them. I have a mother in law who gets me yarn from good will at a great price. They give me the ideas and I find a pattern and make it. I take it with me and someone will ask me about it. I have had adults come up now that the word is out in my comunity. I wish we had a group in my area that I could crochet with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why don't you start a group of your own? Put the word out that you would like to start a group and see what happens! Good luck!