Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

How to stiffen crocheted earrings?

I've been making crocheted earrings out of emboidery thread. I've tried various ways to stiffen them, starch mixtures, glue and water, varnishes that I use for my paintings...everything darkends the beautiful bright colors. Does anyone know of a way to make these stiff enough to retain their shape but not change the color of the thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried a spray polyurethane? I don't know for sure if it would work but may be worth trying!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using a mixture of Craft Smart clear drying glue. I make a bath of water and glue then hang the earings to dry. So far it has worked well. My grandmother used boiled sugar water to stiffen thread. I will try the poly spray. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    What about a simple spray starch that is usually used on men's shirts? It doesn't change the colour of the finished piece at all if you are using a mercerized thread.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just tried the poly spray, unfortunately it's not really working as I hoped it might. I tried the spray starch when I first started making these, it doesn't mess up the color, but it's not quite strong enough and the earrings start to curl when you are wearing them. I think I need to experiment a little more with the glue mixure situation, maybe the right brand will dry clear and not discolor the threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Crocheting

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Crocheting

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always used Elmers white glue for this,I havnt had any problem with changing color. I just dilute it about 50%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you members for these excellent ideas and resources. I am just beginning to get into crocheted earrings and hadn't gotten so far as to stiffen them yet. This will eliminate many headaches. If anyone has patterns to share, I am deeply grateful. jelainezastrow@yahoo.com thank you very much

Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome I hope some of these work well for you.
    Happy Crocheting