Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: suzy

Post Thanks / Like

suzy

Hello fellow crocheters. I am from England and have been crocheting for about 50 years. I also tat, make lace, knit and embroider. I do all types of crochet including Irish crochet. I use yarn or preferably thread. My next project is painted crochet doilies. I have a large collection of doilies that i have made over the years.I like the clover hooks as I have arthritis in my hands.
    Look forward to "speaking" to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    hello and welcome here. I am Larisa addicted on doilies

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the group! It is nice to meet you! Nice to have someone from England! Hope you enjoy your time here!

Can you explain what painted doilies are to the members? Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Painted doilies are made in very fine thread(sewing cotton) You use 3 strands at a time starting with 3 of the same colour, then on the next row you drop one strand and introduce a new strand of another shade or colour. Next row drop another of thr first colour and pick up a second strand of the new colour. By introducing a new colour or shade at each row the colours of the doilies very subltly change, just as if you are using paint and gradually lightening or darkening the shades. I found out about this in a book "Crochet Masterclass" There are a couple of booklets of patterns available to download on e-Patterns, Downloadable Patterns When I have completed one (if it turns out OK) I will post a picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh. It s great idea! I am not sure I have all needed colors... may be only thread for X-stitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Suzy! And welcome! Painted doilies are extremely beautiful! I make things for children and sell at Craft Fairs! Glad you joined us! I have a pen pal in England that I have been corresponding to for over 4o yrs!

Post Thanks / Like
    You would need a minimum of 5 colour shades to produce the effect wanted. Embroidery or cross stitch thread are not suitable for crochet. You need sewing cotton like Gutterman sew-it-all or if you are brave enough rayon machine embroidery threads have beautiful colours. (they are very slippery to work with).

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to crochet talk hope you have great experiences here everyone is so kind and helpful.
    Happy Crocheting

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Suzy, Welcome to the board. I love to crochet thread doilies. The painted doilies sound beautiful but I do not think I could work with that fine of a thread or the size hook it would need. I work with size 10 thread.