Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Double Treble shell edging frustration

I have been working on this shawl pattern for a while. I am following a You Tube tutorial. The edging has me stumped. It's Double Treble shells. So, there is a cluster of 6 double treble in one space with a chain 1 btwn the double trebles. After the 6 double trebles, chain 1 skip 1 space and single crochet. Chain 1, and start the Double Treble. Well, the first Double Treble ALWAYS results in a loose stitch between the single crochet and the 1st Dbl Tr. On my last pull through - I have this gap or extra length of yarn between the last two loops on the hook. It is so frustrating, because it does not happen at ALL when doing the rest of the shell.

I need to mention that I am left handed and have never properly learned to hold the yard in my right hand. Here is a pic, and I can also include a link to the You Tube tutorial. You would have to go almost to the end of the video, as it is the 2nd round of edging. I must have tried this first dbl tr of the shell at least a hundred times. My stomach is in knots because of this!! UGH!!!

Attached Images Attached Images Double Treble shell edging frustration-ch1-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Suzeesk8er;201285]I have been working on this shawl pattern for a while. I am following a You Tube tutorial. The edging has me stumped. It's Double Treble shells. So, there is a cluster of 6 double treble in one space with a chain 1 btwn the double trebles. After the 6 double trebles, chain 1 skip 1 space and single crochet. Chain 1, and start the Double Treble. Well, the first Double Treble ALWAYS results in a loose stitch between the single crochet and the 1st Dbl Tr. On my last pull through - I have this gap or extra length of yarn between the last two loops on the hook. It is so frustrating, because it does not happen at ALL when doing the rest of the shell.

I need to mention that I am left handed and have never properly learned to hold the yard in my right hand. Here is a pic, and I can also include a link to the You Tube tutorial. You would have to go almost to the end of the video, as it is the 2nd round of edging. I must have tried this first dbl tr of the shell at least a hundred times. My stomach is in knots because of this!! UGH!!!

Suzeesk8er,
    Well, the first Double Treble ALWAYS results in a loose stitch between the single crochet and the 1st Dbl Tr. On my last pull through.

I crochet with my right hand and hold the yarn with my left and I have had to do that technique before so I saw it. It would be difficult to catch when you are left handed as it is backwards to look at.
    In his video when he makes his single crochet and he starts the double treble he pulls both the sc and the treble together before he pulls the yarn through. That is to avoid the gap. If you watch the video again you will see him keeping both the sc and the next stitch on his hook close
    together.

I hope this makes sense,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy cow, is this guy FAST.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Suzee,
    Welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I noticed that if you pause the video above it will say 'more videos' and you can see more shawls and a hat if you click on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to Crochet Talk! It is a pleasure to have you here with us! Enjoy!