Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

New to the forums

Hello, I am new to this site. My name is Kathleen otherwise known as Mom to all( this name has been generated by my children and their friends for the past 46 yrs). I have been a crocheter for a while now. I love making baby things mainly because they are quick and so many things can be done with them. I have crocheter everything from Blessing / Christening outfits to headbands and everything in between. I at one time never took pictures of my work until several years ago I made a blessing dress outfit for a friend who was expecting at my church. She had a boy. She then asked if I minded if she gave her gift to another friend of hers in our church who was also expecting. She had a boy. She then returned the gift to me because she didn't know anyone who was expecting or had an infant daughter. I took the blessing outfit to our church book store to find out if the owner would be interested in buying the outfit outright or selling it on cosignment. She bought the outfit for $150. For her daughter who was expecting. She had a boy. She put the outfit up for sale in the store as we went into the store a day after it went up for sale she had it priced at $500. That outfit sold for cash while I stood there in amazement. Feeling like a fool for selling my work at such a discounted price. I realized then that I would start taking pictures of all my work for anyone who was interested in placing an order. The blessing outfit consisted of a long flowing dress, panties, booties, & a bonnet. It was crocheted out of white thread. I had lined the inside of it in white satin. It was all in white with white ribbons and roses. As well as a lot of white lace. That was in 1986. That was also the very 1st blessing dress I had ever made. But it brought me to the realization that the beautiful art of crocheting was not a dead art. I still long for the picture I never took. Since that time I have made 2 more blessing dress outfits. Both given as gifts to church members. The 2nd one I made my husband urged me to enter that as well as a layette into our county fair. I tried telling him it was a waste of time but to keep him quite I did as he asked. That was the only time I had ever entered anything into a competition. To my amazement when we attended the fair I had won 1st place and best of show for the layette, and 2nd place for the blessing outfit. I still have those ribbons. But I figured why push my luck, so I haven't entered anything else. I didn't want to e disappointed if I didn't win. My big prize for both entries was a grand total of $15 and both ribbons and their tags. But the joy has been ever lasting. I taught myself how to crochet from a book when I was 17. It seems like so many years ago. But it is the most stress reliever I have ever found and it gives so much joy to those people that have received my gifts or placed orders and have bought my work. At one point in time a ladies church leader head I knew how to crochet and she had me teach a 1 night class on crocheting to those who desired to learn. That was back when the first tsunami had hit the East countries and our church was instrumental in preparing emergency packages for the homeless and those without. During that week I crocheted 200 pairs of booties to be added to those packages. I really thought I never thought I would ever want to see another lot if pattern again. But it also gave great joy in the knowledge that some babies feet would e kept warm on the other side of the world. So the time spent was well worth the outcome.
    This is my introduction and just a small part of my life. I now have a new great granddaughter who is benefiting from my self taught art. She has already received 1 box full and 3 envelopes full of clothing I've made for her and she will e 2 months old on the 16th of this month. Unfortunately she lives in a different state so I can't play dress up with her. I'm waiting on her mommy to send me pictures of her wearing the different things I've made her for my photo albums.
    I hope you've enjoyed my lengthy introduction and I apologize if this was too long.
    Thank you for allowing me to join in your forum and if I can help in any way please do not hesitate to ask. Kathy/ Mom to all

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! You are welcome to share pics of some of your work with us if you would like!

Thanks for joining us and sharing a part of your life with us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kathy,
    Welcome. You must be pretty good to crochet 200 booties in 1 week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Kathy,
    Welcome. You must be pretty good to crochet 200 booties in 1 week.
    I taught myself when I was 17, I will be 64 next month. Unfortunately I didn't teach myself sooner so I could dress my only baby girl in dresses made of ruffles. I only had 1 girl then 3 boys. I resolved myself to the fact that God had a sense of humor. I always prayed for 3 girls and 1 boy because of the draft. But now that I have 3 great granddaughters the 1st 2 I've dressed in ruffles as babies and the new 1 vie already sent a bock full of her nursery theme Fionna the baby fox out to her, which alone cost me $60, as well as 3 envelopes full of clothing, and I have about 3 more to go. Im just waiting to waiting for the money to come to send them. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I crochet filet items
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Kathleen. Loved your post. My aunt could crochet like you do. Please post your pictures so we can see them.
    Leona