Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Struggling with a pattern

Hi everyone
    I want to crochet an afghan with the wavy puff stich sprays. The pattern is in the Ultimate sourcebook of knitting and crochet stitches on page 233. I have made samples od two repeats and they seem to turn out ok but when I increase the multiples for a full size afghan and begin the third row everything goes out of whack. Essentially (I think) this is a wave pattern with the I creases being worked in a puff stich, the second and alternating rows are sc in ea st and ch. but I end up with more sts at the end of the row. Can anyone help me understand what I am doing wrong. Thanks so much. Edie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have not done too many afghans, but would it help you to place a pin in the last stitch of the row? I am wondering if you are adding too many stitches? I am also wondering if you are relaxing toward the end of the row and crocheting more loosely?

It may be helpful if you could post a picture of your ends if you have access to a digital camera. Sometimes, seeing is more helpful.

More advanced crocheters will also be checking into the forums soon. We will help you figure it out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Edie! I would have to see the pattern to see where you are having trouble! You can give us the part you are having trouble with, but not the whole pattern! That would help us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Edie, I agree with Maryjane. It would be very helpful iif you would write down the part that is giving you a problem. Then we could try it out and be better able to give you advice.
    http://tinypic.com/k3rq4z.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also be happy to see where the problem is. I just finished a wavy afghan and realized part way in that I had missed on stitch which threw off the whole thing, so proceeded to rip out. I wish you luck. Sounds like a good project!

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the pattern count the turning chain or not? If it does not, and you are working a stitch in it, you will gain a stitch each row. Also, (usually) to make a wave or ripple there is also a decrease that alternates with the increase to give it the wavy/ripply effect. It could be that you are increasing just fine but not decreasing, or not decreasing consistently which would leave you with extra stitches in your row. The last possibility is that, eventho it is in a published pattern book, there might be a mistake in the pattern instructions causing the extra stitch count. (for example, the stitch count it says you should have might be wrong, or the pattern may have left off a decrease in the full-size instructions that was there in the swatch instructions.) Compare the third row in the swatch instructions to the third row in the full-size instructions and see if something is missing.

7. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone. Thanks so much for replying. Here is the pattern:

Ch121
    Row 1. Sc In 2nd ch from hook and sc across (120 sts)
    Row 2: ch 2 , dc in next st, (dc next 2 sts tog twice); (making 5/8 long loops, work. 6 loop puff st in next st, ch1) 5 times; (dc next 2 sts tog) 4 times, (work 6 loop puff st, ch 1 ) 5 times, Repeat pattern till 6 sts left - (dc next 2 sts tog) 3 times, turn
    Row 3: ch 1, sc in each st and ch across to turning 2 ch, skip turning ch, turn

Repeat rows 2 and 3 required times till desired length

Post Thanks / Like
    I will try pattern this PM and let you know. I agree that perhaps there is an error in the pattern or not decreasing can be the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Lili

Post Thanks / Like
    Edie: I tried out the pattern as you had written and was extremely careful about counting stitches, ch, etc. I came out four stitches over at the end. It was not difficult to follow the pattern but I think perhaps the instructions are a bit off. I finally gave up in frustration. It would be a pretty afghan if.....Sorry. Maybe someone else will have an idea.