Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Show and Tell

Post Thanks / Like

Show and Tell

Show and Tell
    This is one of the project of my students which she entered in a national competition here in our country and she won 2nd place! It's also the same pattern of flowers that I made 11 years ago when I was a student and but I used different shade of colors and she added a different pattern of flowers to the mix. I also got a 2nd place award in the national competition during my time!

Show and Tell

Yep this was me when I was still a student! And that was my project. Flowers in a vase. During the time I was making that, I found it very hard. Of course with more experience and maturity, the flower patterns are very easy. You can easily create one for yourself as well by getting any flower patterns and crochet several flowers for yourself.

And here's the secret so that the flowers would look more life-like. My mom and I thought this up. We would get a bunch of fake flowers, rip off the flowers and glue the crocheted flower creations on them. LOL! Sounds wasteful but it is effective enough to have let me and my student win 2nd place in a national competition!

If you would like to have a copy of some of the flower patterns that I used here or something similar to it, let me know so that I can post it on the patterns thread there.

2. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing you and your student's accomplishments! I look forward to seeing more, when you have time to share!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's so pretty and creative!

Post Thanks / Like
    So there is a second part to the story of my student who competed in the national competition and got 2nd place. Well she went on to compete for the International competition in the states! Since she was going to compete in the international competition, her mom had a bright idea of making it into a bouquet instead of flowers in the vase. It was going to be tough to travel but the overall look of it would have more impact internationally. So I advised my student to add a bit more flowers to make it look more spectacular. And I asked the help of my mentor (my old highschool teacher) on what would be the best arrangement. Check out the photos on how we did it..

Show and Tell
    That's my hand right there holding some of the flowers of the original flowers in vase project. I so love the colors here!

Show and Tell

Show and Tell
    She added several of this for the international competition. We got the patterns from Crochet Pattern Central. For the huge yellow daffodils, she just doubled the strand and used a bigger hook to make it bigger.

Show and Tell
    This is it in bouquet form! I LOVE IT!! Of course she won FIRST PLACE at the International Student Convention. We were so happy and proud of her. Personally I felt like she made one of my dreams come true coz it was the same concept and some of the flowers were the same patterns that I used years ago when I was in high school and now it won FIRST PLACE in an international competition. I felt like I won too. hehe. This was during April 2011.

6. Likes giftedchild, arbrumfield liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! This is so inspiring Kaisensei! And the flowers are so alive, they don't look like they were crocheted! (unless, of course, if you scrutinize them to look for the stitches). Either way -- in the vase or laid out as a bouquet, they're all gorgeous! Of course we'd be happier if you could share the flower patterns here!

Post Thanks / Like
    The patterns used for these flowers is from a super old crochet book that belongs to my mom. I was wondering if its ok to post scanned pages of the book here.. (don't want to violate a rule?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Kaisensei,

I am not sure about this. I have not posted others patterns but links to their site, unless it states on the site that posting "their" patterns are not allowed. Does the book have a copywrite in the front of it? Or, does it state in the book that the patterns can be shared? Let me know and I will find out more information about this. We definitely want to keep things legal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very pretty! I've never thought of doing something like this before.

Post Thanks / Like
    well I have to check the book again. But the good thing is, there are a lot of free patterns of flowers out there which you can use to make the same thing. I always visit Crochet Pattern Central and get a lot of good patterns from there.