Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Chainless Foundation

I have mastered the single crochet foundation, and now I want to crochet a mobius with double crochet with chain spaces!

Is it possible to made a foundation with chain spaces?

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I'll have to do a little trial and error myself!

Post Thanks / Like
    Carrie,

Hello and welcome to the group! Sundays are quiet as many of the members are spending time with their families. I checked into the forums this morning and then just now to see if anyone needed help. Do not be discouraged - I did find this which I think will answer your questions although it may be using a different stitch. It is however dc with chain spaces.

If this does not give you insight, I will be checking back in this evening.

4. Likes Amanda45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carrie- I thought most patterns start with a chain of a certain length-according to your pattern! What does your pattern say? Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever done a mobius? I have done several. They start with a chain, but then you have to join the ends. Most instructions tell you to be careful not to twist it. With a mobius you have to give it one twist. Sometimes it is not a problem but when you have a long chain, more than a hundred chains, that is a real problem. You are never sure if you got it right until you have crocheted around once. Making a chainless foundation is one solution, then you have a flat chain that is easy to join.

In this case the mobius is made of ds and chain spaces, making a filet that goes around your shoulders. Making a chainless foundation makes a solid center in the project. I learned how to make a ds chainless foundation but could see that I would never be able to make a hundred or more stitches. I have trouble with a few sc chains and have to back up to make corrections. I even tried a ds chainless with chains but that is very confusing.

I have come to the conclusion that I could tolerate a solid stripe through the center. That just brought up an idea! Maybe I could make the center stripe of a different color and pretend it was the way it was supposed to be! Now that I have about 30 inches done! I'll have to give that more thought. I need about 48 inches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carrie
    Thanks for the clarification! I have never made a mobius but I have seen them in patterns. But I never read through a pattern! Good luck with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Claire, This is a good video about how to do the double crochet foundation and then how to join it for a mobius.

Post Thanks / Like
    I studied all the mobius patterns in Crochet Pattern Central and found one that did not use the chainless foundation. It used a long chain, but then crocheted back across it, which you could do in any pattern you wanted. Then you joined that end with the beginning! I tried it and have my mobius well started. I did not do a very good job but it worked.

Thanks for all the videos. I love watching them and learn things I hadn't even thought of doing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Barbara & Donna,
    Thank you for the wonderful videos...I learned something new today!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    I studied all the mobius patterns in Crochet Pattern Central and found one that did not use the chainless foundation. It used a long chain, but then crocheted back across it, which you could do in any pattern you wanted. Then you joined that end with the beginning! I tried it and have my mobius well started. I did not do a very good job but it worked.

Thanks for all the videos. I love watching them and learn things I hadn't even thought of doing!
    What pattern was that? I'd like to try it!