Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

New, with a crochet hook in my hand.

Hello, everyone. I love to knit, crochet, do Russian punch needle, and sew. I spent 20 years doing costumes at a State University and did all kinds of sewing and alterations on the side. I love to do handwork while "watching" tv in the evening. My goal, now that I am retired, is to use up my fabric and yarn stash. One of my volunteer jobs is working with a group that provides basic baby things to parents who show up at hospitals with little or nothing for their babies. I do all the cutting for the quilts (nice big powerful machine) and I end up with lots of long strips of fabric that I have crocheted into big diaper bags. I had so much of this kind of fabric yarn that I ended up teaching other women how to crochet with fabric. I also teach Somali women to sew and have brought along my crochet work for those few quiet moments I might have while they work and that has brought some interest in them to learn how to crochet. I regularly make prayer shawls for my church and I have used up a lot of odds and ends making hats for the Salvation Army coat and hat giveaway. I often bring crochet along when I volunteer at blood drives . (That way I get to do two volunteer activities at once.) Obviously I like to keep busy. Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan,

Welcome to the group! It is nice to meet you and hear of your love for helping others! So, do you mind sharing with the group more about the Russian punch needle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Susan. It s nice to meet you. i am Larisa. I make thread doilies....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan and Welcome. I mainly make baby blankets and have just given 11 to Project Linus. Am working on three more at the moment!!!!! Sounds like you keep very busy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Russian Needle punch requires a special needle, a very special needle threader and embroidery floss. There is no way I can describe it simply. If any of you care to know about it there are several websites you can find by googling it. It has the look of tiny rug hooking. Embroidery floss - another stash I'm trying to use up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got around to filling out my bio. Thanks for the welcome. Sue

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sue! And welcome! Sounds like you keep really busy, espcially with your charity work! I am familiar woth Russian needle punch and it is very beautiful! Glad you decided to join us!