Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Left hand patterns

Does anyone have any links or information on where books or videos can be found for us lefties. Most of the patterns are easy to figure out, but sometimes this cannot be done. Have never been able to find anything to download or purchase when it comes to doing either knitting or crocheting left handed.
    Unforutnately because I am a hands on learner it makes it even more difficult. Have not even found a crochet/knitting group close to my home.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Barbara, Thank you so much for your much needed help. Although I have been crocheting for many years, I stuck to simple items, since I could never find a tute or step by step instructions to create some of the harder projects, which I loved so much.
    YOur help is great appreciated, and I certainly will be reading all of the information yhou listed.

Post Thanks / Like
    One excellent resource book that I use is Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet from Leisure Arts

It can be found on Amazon at
    Amazon.com: Leisure Arts ''Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet" Book By The Each: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
    or at your favourite craft shop.

I like it as a reference as it shows just as much for the left handed crocheter as it does for the right handed.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    It is such a pleasure knowing the my crochet sisters would come to my aid. It is greatly appreciated since doing crochet and knitting left handed has always been a challenge. Now if I could only find the same info. for knitting, I would be ecthatic, as every step I have taken to find info. has led to an absolutely dead end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetcrazy View Post
    It is such a pleasure knowing the my crochet sisters would come to my aid. It is greatly appreciated since doing crochet and knitting left handed has always been a challenge. Now if I could only find the same info. for knitting, I would be ecthatic, as every step I have taken to find info. has led to an absolutely dead end.
    Donna Kooler also publishes an Encyclopedia for Knitting that's done in the same format as the Encyclopedia of Crochet.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Crochetcrazy, welcome to the forum, I am also a "Lefty" the reason for my screen name & I am very proud to be a "Lefty", I just wanted to also point out that if you do find someone who crochet's that is right handed all you need to do is watch them in a mirror & it will look as if they are doing it left handed & it makes it so much easier to learn. It's obviously the same for the right handed crocheter who learns from someone who is left handed. I wish I would have known this when my Mom & Grandma (who were both right handed) tried to teach me, it would have saved alot of frustration on both our parts. Another thing I would like to point out is when reading a regular crochet pattern if you only look at the sections between the commas it helps to make the pattern easier to read. Another thing if you are trying to crochet something made from a graph, read the pattern opposite of what a right handed person would read them & your patterns will turn out on the right side of the work instead of being on the wrong side in other words with most graphs when looking at the pattern the pattern usually has the first row on the right hand side of the graph, for us Lefty's our first row should actually be on the left hand side then the 2nd row would be on the right hand side of the chart. Another thing I like to do when working with graphs is write the pattern out with numbers instead of trying to keep track of where I am on the graph itself because it is alot easier to forget to read it opposite like we need to, to get it to come out on the right side. An example of this is count how many open boxes (or spaces) there are & write that number down on a piece of paper (remember to do it opposite) then I put a comma (which the first number shows me I have to make that number of open spaces), then after the comma the next number I write down is the number of closed boxes (or closed spaces) I will need to do next, put another comma & the number after that is the next number of open boxes (or spaces) etc & continue to do that for each row. It makes it alot easier to read the "pattern" you make up from the numbers & it makes actually crocheting the piece up go alot quicker. Of course this writing out the pattern for the graph could also be adapted for the right handed person as well. Then on a seperate piece of paper I write out the number of rows & as I complete each row I mark off that row. I hope that makes sense & if you have any further questions about crocheting "Lefty style" as I like to say please feel free to e-mail me at foreverlefty@yahoo.com & I will do my best to help as I have crocheted for many years & have crocheted a huge assortment of crochet patterns as well as taught others to crochet weather they were right handed or left handed & I have a vast array of crochet patterns as well. I love crocheting & it is my favorite pastime & I find that it is also very relaxing. I am here to help if you need anything else. Nice talking to you & I hope we can talk again soon. Your Crochet friend, Patti