Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  64
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation I don't need to know how!

My son was dating a wonderful young girl that we have know since she was a baby. She is friendly, smart, and cute. I asked her about cooking and she replied "I don't need to know how. I'm going to college so I'll get a job and eat out." I thought that was very sad but so many young girls and boys don't want to learn cook, do any type of craft or repairs, and so many other things that bring joy and satisfaction to our lives. They think a college education is all they need in life. The few that I have talked to about crocheting, knitting, or sewing thought it was too old fashioned.

2. Likes chp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

This new generation of young people are so much different than when we were young. Many of them do not want to be responsible in so many ways. It is kinda sad in a way - but I am sure there are some young people in the world that are taking responsibility by the horns and living the best way possible!

4. Likes Carolyn Crye, OregonCaro liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It is very sad that these kids were raised with this attitude. I tried to raise my kids to know how to do household things and to appreciate everything they have. It is amazing to see them now as adults raising their children!

Post Thanks / Like
    Both of my daughters were raised to know how to cook, but they never really cared to actually do it. They were also responsible for various tasks around the house and they were also exposed to all my various forms of diversion (crocheting, quilting, sewing, macrame, knitting, doll making etc...) but they were never very interested in doing any of them. As adults they are wonderful mothers and with really terrific husbands (providing me with the sons I never had...) and they have found their own creative diversions... Among other things I tried to impress on them as children was to think for themselves and to be independent. Today they are two of the most awesome women I know and I am so proud to be their mother... (enough bragging...) beverly

Post Thanks / Like
    Many of todays youth are in for a rude awakening when they enter the Adult World! Maybe that's why there are so many people on public assisstance these days? I'm not knocking public assisstance-some people are truely in need of it-and not because they are lazy! I am proud to say that my children are awesome as well! Another thought-if everybody learned to cook, all the restaurants and fast food places would go out of business! LOL!!!!

8. Likes Lili liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully she'll realize that eating out all the time takes a HUGE chunk out of the daily budget.

For the cost of one meal out, you can purchase enough yarn to make a beautiful afghan!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    hi bebe52, let's just hope they find that job when they graduate!! when or if they graduate they find themselves way way deep in debt and still living with their parents !!!! lol!!!! with still no job skills or R-E-A-L life skills. i am grateful that my grandparents and parents taught me alot of skills and crafts. and guess what i am not joined at the hip with a stupid I-PHONE either! and they say this is our future
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebe52 View Post
    My son was dating a wonderful young girl that we have know since she was a baby. She is friendly, smart, and cute. I asked her about cooking and she replied "I don't need to know how. I'm going to college so I'll get a job and eat out." I thought that was very sad but so many young girls and boys don't want to learn cook, do any type of craft or repairs, and so many other things that bring joy and satisfaction to our lives. They think a college education is all they need in life. The few that I have talked to about crocheting, knitting, or sewing thought it was too old fashioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too think it is such a shame that the young people aren't interested in learning to take care of themselves. In my house when my children and now grandchildren (as they are living with us) were young I started teaching them how to cook, and do laundry so one day when they left they could do the basics things for themselves. A college education is a wonderful thing, but with all the college graduates out there without a job it doesn't do much to help them feed themselves if they haven't got the money to pay someone else.

Besides there is so much pride when you use your own two hands to make something or make repairs on something that the young people just don't seem to understand. But I do think you do have to start when they are young and more willing to take the time to learn from you.

Happy stitching,
    Judi G

12. Likes Carolyn Crye liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My mother taught me to crochet, knit, sew and cook as a child. I never took any of these up as hobbies of my own until I was married. Even then, I didn't take up the crafts until I was pregnant with my first daughter. I think it's good to expose our children to things and then let them find what works for them. As for the eating out, they will learn how expensive that can be and quickly, too.

14. Likes Lili liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with my kids was that they thought they knew more than I did when they were teenagers. Once they grew up and started paying for things themselves, it was amazing how much their attitudes changed! Reality was able to teach them what I couldn't!

16. Likes Judi Gums, Lili, tas, Erika liked this post