Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Newbee

Post Thanks / Like

Newbee

I try new crafts but always come back to crocheting. I find it very relaxing. Having rheumatoid arthritus my hands sometimes become very sore. when that happens I switch to counted cross stitch. My favorite is blackwork. As for time to do my favorite things I am a little limited. I have 20 birds 4 cats & 2 large dogs. But evenings are my time. I really love making doilies & would like to make the shaded ones out of sewing thread, so if anyone has any experience I could use some help. I look forward to talking with you.

Kat/Jackson, ME

Post Thanks / Like
    Kat,

Thank you for posting in the forums. I also like to cross stitch. It has been some time since I have picked it up with have three children at home. I will look into more information about shading. Hopefully, if any other members are familiar with it, they will gladly let us in on their secrets! :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kat!

You might ask fairynatb. She likes making doilies and has a thread about the doilies she has crocheted.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kat, the only thing I know about shaded doilies made out of sewing thread is that they are made using many strands of thread together (or as you'd have guessed, it would takes ages to finish a small doily ). Usually 3 or 4 strands of thread I think. You start out with one colour and change colour after a few rounds...and you do same with 3 or 4 different colours. Now the shading effect (merging of one colour into another) is simple to achieve, let me take the example of the first few rounds; say you want to start out with blue with the next colour being yellow, then you make a few rounds with the just strands of blue thread. After a few rounds, you would mix 2 strands of blue and one strand of yellow and do a few more rounds. After that you need to mix 1 strand of blue and 2 strands of yellow to do a few more rounds and finally you use only yellow strands and crochet a few rounds....you do same with the next colour you want in your doily. Hope I have helped...I have only tried it just like that but never made a doily that way.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replying. Not sure if I am going to try it again anytime soon. Making dish cloths & pot holders for sons new house right now. I am also trying to make a dead fish hat for my nephew. I'll get it figured out, just need to concentrate.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're welcome Kat...Great! Good luck with your dead fish hat!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, what is a dead fish hat?

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you don't mind me answering Catdoll; well a dead fish hat is a crocheted hat in the shape of a dead fish with an open mouth, the mouth being where you put it on your head. You can add eyes and ornaments to simulate features of a real fish!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! the things you learn about in this forum, lol! I did not know what it was either so I had to find a picture to see what it looked like it. Here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images Newbee-deadfish-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    Well thanks Patti, now that is much better than my explanation!
    FairyNatB