Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why crocheting is a dying craft among the younger generation?

I have to admit that I would rather see kids pick up a crochet hook or a knitting needle now a days then a cell phone or sit and play a video game all day long. I guess I am getting old!!!!! lol.
    PHP Code:
    :cool

2. Likes sarah1313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to say that kids today aren't picking up crafts like crocheting, sewing, knitting because nobody is passing on these skills to them. My Mennonite friends say that if a generation fails to pass on a skill to the next generation, it will be lost. That is one of the primary reasons I became a 4-H leader. I taught my club life skills that were definitely lacking in their lives. I recall quite clearly the night I taught them to sew on a button. We had a young boy in our group who got so excited when he learned to sew on a button. His exact words were, "Now I can sew a button on my shirt when it falls off and my mom won't have to throw it in the garbage."

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of it has to do with the fact that their mom's never learned the crafts so they don't have the ability to pass the skills on. I'm amazed in my crochet classes how many of my adult students don't know how to darn a sock or sew a simple seam by hand.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello members,

I would also have to say that the reason some kids are not doing crocheting is because no one has taken the time to show them. The other reason which is the same, but different - is that they have not been "exposed" to the craft. They may literally not realize that it even exists.

It would be nice to be able to look at real statistics! Are less people crocheting? Less adults as compared to years ago?

Are kids really not interested in the art? I know this can be due to the increase of technology - but by how much?

Has crocheting advanced to the point of people losing interest? Not to be negative, but are there some people who simply will not crochet because they are overwhelmed with all their is to learn?

Enough from me - just throwing some ideas out there! Look forward to seeing what others have to say!

6. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone, Here's my 2 cents... I think that crochet is really making a big comeback. I've never seen very much about it in quite a few years but all of a sudden there are all these new (found) and exciting techniques with modernized patterns... For so long it was just toilet tissue covers and stuff like that. I am not putting them down it is just that the artform needed a shot in the arm and from what I've been seeing there are so many updated looks and choices now. I am very excited about where crocheting is heading and glad to be going along for the ride. I think I've mentioned this before but the one thing that really draws me to crochet is that it cannot be duplicated (exactly) by a machine...there are several 'looks-kinda-like' crochet items that are called crochet, but when you look at them closely you can see that it isn't the same... love it...beverly

8. Likes Carynjoyb, Hopie, NanGreen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crocheting is for patient people and performs relaxation. One day your people will need to relax

10. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Part of the problem may be that there isn't any 'instant gratification' in crocheting. It takes time and effort in order to produce something.

Many would just rather go to the mall and purchase the item outright. Of course they don't get the benefit of the quality of handmade nor the satisfaction of having made something themselves.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    we need more people in the world like you!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by armybrat View Post
    I would have to say that kids today aren't picking up crafts like crocheting, sewing, knitting because nobody is passing on these skills to them. My Mennonite friends say that if a generation fails to pass on a skill to the next generation, it will be lost. That is one of the primary reasons I became a 4-H leader. I taught my club life skills that were definitely lacking in their lives. I recall quite clearly the night I taught them to sew on a button. We had a young boy in our group who got so excited when he learned to sew on a button. His exact words were, "Now I can sew a button on my shirt when it falls off and my mom won't have to throw it in the garbage."

13. Likes grannycamper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    my mom did not like to crochet or knit, but she did take up sewing. my grandmother did not pick up sewing or knitting. it was my great grandmother that had the passion for crochet so i guess that is where i got the crochet bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetgal View Post
    A lot of it has to do with the fact that their mom's never learned the crafts so they don't have the ability to pass the skills on. I'm amazed in my crochet classes how many of my adult students don't know how to darn a sock or sew a simple seam by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    i know when i was in school they never even mentioned anything about crocheting or knitting classes. i know that now a days crocheting has taking off with some very new and inventive ideas and new methods of crocheting now then it used to in the old days!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    Hello members,

I would also have to say that the reason some kids are not doing crocheting is because no one has taken the time to show them. The other reason which is the same, but different - is that they have not been "exposed" to the craft. They may literally not realize that it even exists.

It would be nice to be able to look at real statistics! Are less people crocheting? Less adults as compared to years ago?

Are kids really not interested in the art? I know this can be due to the increase of technology - but by how much?

Has crocheting advanced to the point of people losing interest? Not to be negative, but are there some people who simply will not crochet because they are overwhelmed with all their is to learn?

Enough from me - just throwing some ideas out there! Look forward to seeing what others have to say!