Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Etsy help

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Etsy help

I started a site on Etsy a few months ago and am not having much luck selling my goodies. Does anyone have suggestions that don't cost an arm & leg as I am unemployed and struggling. Was hoping it would work out better, but in four months I've only sold two items and profit wasn't much after shipping costs.
    bjdevi1018.

2. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I personally have not sold on Etsy - so I am not knowledable on this area. We do have quite a few active members who do sell on the site. So, hopefully you will hear some hints for those seasoned within the business.

I do know that from a search engine perspective, that you can do things to gain more traffic. Are you selling patterns, or products?

Some ideas include: creating a few free blogs which have links back to your selling site. The blog can include a variety of ideas. The search engines look to see how many times your "site" is listed on other sites. Also, if you know of other bloggers who will list your link on their sites - this will help in the long run.

Have you let others know about your site? Do you have a facebook account which you can let others know about your site? If you have photos on your etsy site - you may be able to also use Pintrest to gain some followers as well.

I have a training meeting to go to here shortly, or I would get more in depth on this area.

Will check back in and see what others suggest. We can also discuss other ideas which may be helpful!

4. Likes SweetARoma, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Selling on Etsy takes a fair bit of effort in order to be successful. Its not just a matter of listing things and having them sell.

I don't know what your shop is so I cannot give you specific suggestions. However, you may want to read the sections on Search Engine Optimization (how to come up with titles and tags so that your items will be found).

Etsy provides you with the store front only. Its up to you to do your own marketing to bring in the traffic.

Are you active in any of the Etsy team forums? There are a number of them specifically related to selling on Etsy, Marketing, and Promotion. Treasuries can also be a great way to market your work.

As for profit, its up to each individual seller to determine what their profit will be. Shipping costs shouldn't come out of your profits at all. Rather the shipping costs are a separate cost that is paid by the buyer. It really does pay to know what the true shipping costs of any item will be and also include the packaging costs in the total shipping costs. If you are in the USA, you can check the costs of shipping any package by looking at the rate tables at www.usps.com .

I would suggest that you start by writing out a strong marketing plan. Who is your target market? Where can they be found? How do you reach them? These are all questions that you should be asking yourself. Once you know the answers, then you can start reaching out to them.

In the meantime, I'd suggest that you send a quick note to all of your existing customers to let them know that you've started an online shop.

My shop can be seen at www.crochetgal.etsy.com
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

6. Likes Trenarah, mb1031, ILikeCrochet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Crochetgal: I actually just ordered two patterns on your site. I love the site and plan to use it often. Your displays are wonderful. I want to try cotton dishclothes but will finish the two blankies I have started first.

8. Likes SweetARoma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much Lily for the compliment on my shop. And thanks for your purchase. Much appreciated. All proceeds from the sale of my patterns go to purchase yarns so that I can make more blankets for Project Linus.

Anytime you are looking for dishcloth cotton, please feel free to ask. Right now I have about 55 different colours in stock at http://www.crochetgal.etsy.com

10. Likes SweetARoma liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Crochetgal: Thanks so much and I will order some soon. Will check to see if I got the patterns.

12. Likes SweetARoma liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just posted my first item on Etsy. I found it a bit confusing but I have hopes it will do well. I have tons of craft supplies that I would lile to sell. Some of my interests have changed and I know there is someone out there that could these supplies. My Etsy name is 'Beverlys'. I am also trying out Ecrater and Ebay to see what does best. Best of luck to you.

14. Likes SweetARoma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beverly,

If you take some extra time to read the Etsy Seller's handbook and a few of the blog posts, you will find that posting on Etsy really isn't that difficult. Yes, the first time you post something in your shop it does take a few minutes but after you've done a few items it starts to come much easier.

You can find the Etsy seller's Handbook here
    The Etsy Seller Handbook: All Our How-To

and the blog is at The Etsy Blog | Discover How-To's, Interviews With Makers, and Curated Shops

16. Likes SweetARoma, ILikeCrochet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beverly, could you post your Etsy shop link? I wasn't able to find you using the shop name of Beverlys

Post Thanks / Like
    Etsy Tips | Handmadeology Read everything on handmadeology it is great info to help you get more sales. But it is close to Christmas and sales will slow down now for awhile.
    You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.- Mark Twain