Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Sitting Too Much

I know many of you are retired and your time is your own. I work from home as a writer and sit at a desk all day. By evening time, my feet are often swollen from sitting for so long. I have to put my feet way up to get any relief.

I guess my question is this, for those of you who spend a lot of time sitting, do you have this problem? How do you deal with it.

Some have suggested it could be high blood pressure but mine is checked regularly and is fine.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Teresa,

Do you try to get up and move around every hour? This is what I do - sometimes twice an hour. It may only be for a few minutes, so that I can also get back to working the kids on school, as well as working on the computer.

Sometimes, my ankles swell a little. For me, I notice when I have consumed more salty things the previous day - it is worse for me.

Curious to hear what others have to say!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't usually have much of a problem sitting for too long during the day-I babysit for a 3year old and an18 month old! But at night I don't have problems with swelling but with restless legs! And that's a pain when you are trying to go to sleep!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I am programmer work at the desk and I am at the desk at home too... being computer addicted. I have got elliptical trainer I recommend you. My legs are better a lot and pain goes away while I walk on trainer. I do not have place to go outside and trainer is in my room and always available. It helps with heart and ... some health problems too

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried getting up and walking around a bit every 60 to 90 minutes and that seems to be helping.

6. Likes Lili liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Theresa: I used to do medical transcription at home and kept a small footstool under my desk to put my feet on. Also put your feet up as often as you can in the evening while sitting reading, crocheting etc! Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes that also helps.

Maryjane: Restless legs are awful. I take a couple of Advil in the evening and a couple more close to bedtime. The other thing we did was picked up a heated mattress pad and I turn that on for a few minutes when I get into bed and for some reason the heat really helps my legs.

8. Likes bluesparrow58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Lili! I'll try your remedy for restless legs!

10. Likes Lili liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lili: I do have a stool under my desk for during the days that I just started using this week too. I also have a recliner for in the evening but the leg rest is old and tired (like me) and I don't think it lifts them enough. I gave up drinking soda about 3 weeks ago and have replaced it with water so I don't think water is the problem. I'll just keep trying different combinations of things until I find what works best. Thanks for the suggestions?.

Post Thanks / Like
    Theresa: Sounds like you are doing everything right! Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    My doctor said most women after a certain age should be on a small dose of a diuretic. I couldn't believe how much fluid I was retaining, until he put me on one and I saw the difference in a week ! It's worth it to ask. Also, if you start taking one, be sure they check your potassium regularly. Sometimes flushing that much fluid can cause a dangerous drop in potassium.
    Get a small stool to put under your desk to raise your feet a bit so they are not just hanging to the floor, and get up now and then (just as you would if you were on a long plane ride or car trip) and stretch your legs. Even frequent trips to the restroom or water cooler will give your legs a bit of exercise and get that circulation going. Swollen feet are annoying, but a blood clot from too much sitting is much worse.

14. Likes Lili liked this post